Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stepping up US-05 for 11 gal batch  (Read 1425 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Stepping up US-05 for 11 gal batch
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:13:52 pm »
What size starter is big enough to pitch 1pkg US-05 into to step-up for an 11 gal 1.055 O.G. beer? I was thinking 1/2 gal?
-J.K.L.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Stepping up US-05 for 11 gal batch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »
You really don't want to make a starter with dry yeast as there are more viable cells in a packet of dry yeast and also because the sterols in the cell walls are "fortified" before undergoing the drying process and pitching them into a small starter can cause them to use up their sterols and go into you beer less healthy than if a starter was not used.

Just rehydrate the yeast in plain water and pitch multiple packs when the volume goes up. See the pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com to get an idea how many packs you need.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:03:39 pm »
You really don't want to make a starter with dry yeast as there are more viable cells in a packet of dry yeast and also because the sterols in the cell walls are "fortified" before undergoing the drying process and pitching them into a small starter can cause them to use up their sterols and go into you beer less healthy than if a starter was not used.

Just rehydrate the yeast in plain water and pitch multiple packs when the volume goes up. See the pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com to get an idea how many packs you need.

Thanks for the reply Major, I was just trying to save a couple of bucks and just use 1 pkg instead of 2.
-J.K.L. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »
Your best bet, if you wanna make the best beer, is to probably just spend the money. FWIW the amount of DME you would need to make your starter is probably about the same cost.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:23:29 pm »
DME you would need to make your starter is probably about the same cost.

+1 - you'd probably need at least a half pound of DME...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281