Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fleas  (Read 4633 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Fleas
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »
I find it interesting that many of the people advocating organic gardening in other threads, are the same ones saying that they put topical flea treatments on their pets which can cause liver damage.

I really dislike using the medication on my dog, and I only do so during the summer when the fleas become a real problem.  If there's some sort of natural non-toxic solution that works well, I'd love to hear about it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 02:36:19 am »
I find it interesting that many of the people advocating organic gardening in other threads, are the same ones saying that they put topical flea treatments on their pets which can cause liver damage.

I really dislike using the medication on my dog, and I only do so during the summer when the fleas become a real problem.  If there's some sort of natural non-toxic solution that works well, I'd love to hear about it.

See the link in my previous post.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 04:50:19 am »
You could try Diatomaceous Earth:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001THVH9G

I don't have pets so I haven't tried it out on an animal but it's supposed to work well for that.  We had some critters under our screened in deck this summer, probably just small stuff like chipmunks and squirrels, and they were apparently carrying around a bunch of fleas.  Enough so that they'd get up onto the deck and jump you whenever you went outside.

I sprinkled a healthy dose of the D Earth down through the cracks on the decks and that's helped quite a bit.  I'm also using some of these and they work as well:  http://www.amazon.com/Springstar-S102-Flea-Trap/dp/B0002PS7O4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1311418181&sr=1-2

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 05:37:07 am »

Funny but with all the blood tests over the yrs none of our cats have had  problems w/liver and our vet tracks the
results for yrs.

Have you  seen the possible side effects for everyday meds on tv?  and yet most people never have problems.

You drink and yet Alcohol has proven side effects>

Increases risk of gouty arthritis
Increases the risk of cancer in the liver, pancreas, rectum, breast, mouth, pharynx, larynx and esophagus
Causes physical and behavioral abnormalities in the fetus
Raises blood pressure, blood lipids and the risk of stroke and heart disease in heavy drinkers.
Enlarges the kidneys, alters hormone functions, and increases the risk of kidney failure
Causes fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis
Increases the risk of protein-energy malnutrition,; low intakes of protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C, thiamine, vitamin B6 and riboflavin, and impaired absorption of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D and zinc.
Causes neuropathy and dementia; impairs balance and memory

So as pet owners we take a calculated risk. by weighing the pros and cons carefully and yes the simple numbers say somewhere,somebodies pet willl have problems, thats life.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:54:02 am by uthristy »

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:50 am »
Try the capstar. It works.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:12:43 pm »

Whoa, I totally missed that.  

Is it effective?  Does it leave the dog's coat sticky or oily?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:02 pm »
I didn't like doing it but where we lived before there were super fleas (dogtown, west oakland/emeryville CA) and the advantix just wasn't cutting it so our vet had us dose the dog every other week and that helped. apparently the manufacturers say it is 'safe' as often as once a week but we did not have to take it quite to that extreme. I will check out capstar
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

Ummm...Liver damage...Brewing...Hmmm.

ccarlson

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »
I guess because one drinks, that gives them a pass to destroy their pets and the environment.

That's good to know. :D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »

Whoa, I totally missed that.  

Is it effective?  Does it leave the dog's coat sticky or oily?

It is very effective.  We use it on our cats.  It is somewhat oily on application, but is absorbed quickly into their fur and skin.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907