Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jaggery in a saison  (Read 2223 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Jaggery in a saison
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:27 am »
I was in an Indian grocer the other day and they had 1 kg blocks of jaggery there so I got one (hey, I've spent $2 on worse things...)

Now I'm wondering what to do with it.  I'm looking at a saison next week and I was wondering how 2 lbs of jaggery would work in it?  I know they are supposed to be dry so would subbing out some grain and adding this be a mistake?  The other option could be Jaggery Cream Ale using WLP001, 2-row and jaggery only.  

Or, is there something else I should be doing with it?
Thanks

narvin

Re: Jaggery in a saison
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:05 pm »
I've used it before and liked it to an extent.  It can have a very distinct flavor that provides a richness to the beer, which might be overpowering in a Saison if you use too much.  But, this is the opinion I have of any flavoring or spice in a Saison... YMMV.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:06 pm »
subbing out some grain for jaggery will dry the saison out for sure. I like to add some simple sugars to saison. Havn't used jaggery but I have heard that it's really nice
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:55:25 am »
Sounds great to me!  The last (and first) Saison I made was all-malt and it came out much too thick for my liking.  I'm planning one for the near future and am subbing in 2 lbs of honey to help dry it out.  I'm shooting for 1.050 OG with as low a FG as possible, at least 1.005.  That should give me 6%ish ABV, something I couldn't achieve with an all malt recipe.

I've not used Jaggery itself, but I have used it's cousin Piloncillo (Panela) many times.  I find that it offers a nice light molasses taste and seems to ferment out quite thoroughly.  I've always been very happy with the results.  It's also really tasty to snack on while you brew, just hope you still have enough left by the last 10 minutes of the boil! ;)