Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Uerige Doppelsticke  (Read 50093 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Uerige Doppelsticke
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:59 am »
Recently bought a bottle of this and thought it was outstanding.  Must attempt to brew.  I've read the exported bottles are pasteurized and have more sweetness, and some claims that the extra sweetness is at least due in part to oxidation.  Any comments on that?

I can't find too much on it except this:
COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Uerige DoppelSticke might just be "Germany's interpretation of a barley-wine", ie a third definition next to England's "malt-driven" idea {such as JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale} and America's "hop-heavy" version {such as Sierra Nevada's BigFoot}. OG - 1085; IBU - 75; Ingredients; Hops:Spalt Spalter, Hallertauer Perle, Spalt Hallertauer; Malts: Pilsner malt, caramel malt, roasted malt

Seems simple enough as most German recipes seem to be.  Seems like most/all of the caramel should be pretty dark, perhaps all Cara-aroma (150* L)?  Then just enough Carafa Special for the roast/color (it's not very roasty).  Any tips/suggestions for brewing this?  WLP036/WY1007 for the yeast?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Uerige Doppelsticke
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:23:14 am »
As a  starting point, here's some info I posted on Brews & Views a few years back...maybe you can extrapolate from here...

I got the latest issue of New Brewer yesterday and there's an article on mastering altbier by none other than Dr. Frank Hebmuller, who is the brew master and executive brewer at Zum Uerige. Here's what he says...

Water can be relatively hard with a high carbonate level. This is pretty much what my water is like. Malt is based on well modified pils, with a bit of caramel malt and a bit of "chocolate roasted wheat malt". Dunno exactly what that is. Mash schedule has rests at 125, 144, 158, and 169 (mashout). Boil time is 60-70 min. Mittelfruh, Perle, or Spalt are the preferred hops. Aroma hop addition is about 25% of the total hop amount. Add aroma hops no earlier than 20 min. before flameout. OG is 1.044-1.052. Primary between 59-68F. Secondary at 50F. Then condition at 32F for 14 days. FG should be 1.008-1.014. 4.3-5.5% ABV Here's the recipe he gives for 5 gal. ....

5.9 lb. Pils malt
.15 lb. Caramel malt (e.g. Weyermann Caramunich)
1.34 oz. Chocolate Roasted malt (e.g. weyermann Carafa Spezial Type 1)
.7 oz. Hallertau Mittlefruh - 6.5% - 60 min.
.46 oz. Perele - 7.5% - 60 min.
1.11 oz. Spalt - 5% - 20 min.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:58:03 am »
Thanks Denny!  Info about their regular Alt is good info that I'm sure applies at least in part to their Doppelsticke.

Just looked and Weyermann has a Chocolate Wheat malt.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:18 am »
Digging up an old thread.  I was wondering if anyone has more advice or ideas on this subject? 
Here is were I am tentatively at on a recipe I have been wanting to do for awhile:

10 gallon batch
Mash 150F w/ possible Hochurz Decoction
OG: 1.088

64.5% Pils
32.2% Munich
2.8% Carmunich III 60L
0.4% Carafa III

45 IBUs at 60 min Magnum
5 IBUs of Vangaard at 30 min
4 oz of Vangaard at Flameout/20 minute WP

WYeast 1007
Ferment 56F

Thoughts?  Probably will adjust the grain ratio to 65:30:4:1 for simplicity.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:37:57 pm by hoser »

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:20:29 pm »
That is a lot of finishing hops. From what I remember from the beer it was fairly bitter but did not have much in the way of hop flavor and aroma. That was where the malt dominated.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »
Digging up an old thread.  I was wondering if anyone has more advice or ideas on this subject? 
Here is were I am tentatively at on a recipe I have been wanting to do for awhile:

10 gallon batch
Mash 150F w/ possible Hochurz Decoction
OG: 1.088

64.5% Pils
32.2% Munich
2.8% Carmunich III 60L
0.4% Carafa III

45 IBUs at 60 min Magnum
5 IBUs of Vangaard at 30 min
4 oz of Vangaard at Flameout/20 minute WP

WYeast 1007
Ferment 56F

Thoughts?

Thats pretty much my DoppleBock recipe minus the Vanguard. Just magnum up front to bitter. And I use Bock Lager yeast at 48F...makes a fine beer I can attest to that!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »
That is a lot of finishing hops. From what I remember from the beer it was fairly bitter but did not have much in the way of hop flavor and aroma. That was where the malt dominated.

That is what I remember as well.  It has been awhile since I have had one.  My only concern is the age on the bottle.  Between the brew date, bottling date, shipping issues and time on the shelf I wonder how much of the hop flavor and aroma have dropped out?  Similar to a barleywine?  My understanding with sticke alts is that are a bigger/hoppier Dusseldorf alt.  So based on that assumption a Dopplesticke is an imperial sticke alt?  Hard for me to say since there is really only one authentic commercial example.  Hence, the amount of finishing hops.