Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 42 Years Ago...  (Read 6123 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 42 Years Ago...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:25 am »
That was interesting carl.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:44 am »
The interesting thing is to see how the private sector is attacking this issue. SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, etc etc - there are some really cool things going on. They're for the uber-rich for now, of course, but it was the same way with air travel a century ago. Military first, then the rich, then everybody.

China starting to put a stranglehold on rare earth elements will be a big boost to our attempts at space mining.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 06:02:06 am »
Here is the NASA Administrator, Charles Bolden, explaining to Al Jazeera that our current President sees NASA's prime mission as an outreach program to muslim nations.

Charles Bolden's Al Jazeera interview
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:04 am »
It's a double-whammy for me.  I've been an engineer at Kennedy Space Center since 1993...July 29th is my last day (lay-off).

That double sonic boom still startles the hell out of me, but after this morning's, no more.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 07:00:35 am »
Here is the NASA Administrator, Charles Bolden, explaining to Al Jazeera that our current President sees NASA's prime mission as an outreach program to muslim nations.

Charles Bolden's Al Jazeera interview

Don't get the thread locked and keep your political views to yourself, please. This is the only warning.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:37 am »
It's a double-whammy for me.  I've been an engineer at Kennedy Space Center since 1993...July 29th is my last day (lay-off).

That double sonic boom still startles the hell out of me, but after this morning's, no more.

Have you looked into private sector stuff per my post above? Curious as to what the recruiting environment is like for you guys.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:37 am »
I  remember the day well, it was a big deal in our house.  It really amazes me that there are still boneheads out there who actually don't believe it ever really happened.

My late dad was part of the team that worked on the Saturn V rocket that propelled the Apollo missions into space.  I remember watching the live transmission from the moon and how transfixed the world was.  
Funny though...by the time the last Apollo mission wrapped up, it became almost passe...so much so that over the years the original telemetry tapes of the landing video were lost and remain so  (tapes that contained the data that provided a practically high definition video of those first steps that Neil Armstrong took).

In any case, yes...the Apollo missions were a shining moment.  
The modern day American culture (an oxymoron if there ever was one) could care less for the most part, it seems.

I read last fall that these tapes were found at an Australia University.  They had been properly stored but NASA never asked for them back.

Paul

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/3827/lost-apollo-tapes-restored-and-broadcast

Edit: Added link.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:14:02 am by Slowbrew »
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 09:59:37 am »
Also, there's no reason we can't send people back into space once we get the economy back in order.
Or we can just hitch a ride with the Russians....
Or Buy in with Virgin Air
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 11:56:55 am »

Have you looked into private sector stuff per my post above? Curious as to what the recruiting environment is like for you guys.
There is a Brevard Workforce and Aerospace Worker Transition programs but they are pretty swamped, I'm just starting use them.  From what I've heard, there isn't that much local but there are opportunities elsewhere.  I'm single with no kids so it's much easier for me to relocate.  If I could find work where I want to go, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Colorado would be my ideal location but lots of places way west of here will do.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 12:07:52 pm »
Just to throw out my situation here: My wife is a contractor for Nasa and is going to be laid off next month. I happen to be very fond of NASA for more reasons than pride or sentimental reasons (though those are a big part of it too). I was very disappointed when constellation was disbanded. Very disappointed indeed. The space race and shuttle missions have given our society vast leaps in science and technology. I really hope privatization works, but I'm afraid the jobs are far, far off and I'm even more afraid that we are going to end up getting surpassed by other countries, such as China.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
Every time we have a NASA thread I'm reminded just how much I hate the shortsighted nature of our current iteration of society.

Makes me want to spit nails.

And here's a fun one that I found today - all about how Playtex made the suits used by the Apollo astronauts.

Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:55 pm »

I stayed up to watch the landing. Sorry to hear about the end of the project's jobs. I'm sure things will improve.

I'm really excited about SpaceX, an American company being so competitive in the industry. Looking to them and others for some interesting developments in near space entry. Since it's about the private sector and the bottom line now we should see leaps and bounds in progress.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
NASA has transfered amazing amounts of new technology to the private sector since NASA's inception in 1958.  In 1976 NASA created an annual report called NASA Spinoff that highlights that technology.  The lists are astounding.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05:21 pm »
I'm really excited about SpaceX, an American company being so competitive in the industry. Looking to them and others for some interesting developments in near space entry.

SpaceX is scheduled to start flying re-supply missions to the ISS in 2011.  The first manned flight of their Dragon spacecraft is scheduled for 2013.  SpaceX has been good about meeting their schedules.

The SpaceX website is worth a look.  Pretty encouraging.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:07:16 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
Kind of sad how most people, myself included, can name more Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts than we can Space Shuttle astronauts.  I will miss the launches, but will continue to hope that the private sector's efforts will continue to lead the way.