Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: really stupid question....  (Read 6383 times)

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: really stupid question....
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 11:34:52 am »
I have a hard time justifying the use of a cornie for fermenting, how much finished beer do you end up with when fermenting in a 5 gallon cornie?   :-\

See...that's the thing...
I would rather spend 5 hours brewing and getting 5 gallons finished product than the same amount of time for 4 gallons. If I had just a little bit bigger pot, I could justify fermenting 4.25 gallons each in 2 cornies~8 gallons finished product for 5 hours work. Then maybe bottle three gallons (since I like to give beer away) and have 5 gallons kegged. I don't think I am interested in spending the same amount of time for a gallon less- I agree with you on that... 8)
Travis R.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »
Wow!  Thanks everyone for scaring the holy Jesus out of me!  I've been using glass carboys for 7 years, and was still under the impression that they are the better option.  I brew in an upstairs carpeted room.  I guess the good side is, carpet doesn't hurt glass like other surfaces... but do I really want 5 gallons of wort draining into the second floor of my house??  Should I panic and switch to buckets immediately?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:00 am »
Don't be scared of glass carboy, just be aware that accidents happen. Some people use milk crates to carry their glass carboys around when full. Just be careful with them. I still use mine, but recently have been using plastic for ease of use.
Travis R.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 08:55:25 am »
OK.  I might try to do my primary in plastic, just to see how it goes.
Dave Malone

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 09:54:55 pm »
So, I read that article in Zymurgy about the guy slashing his wrist open.  I have these thoughts:
1) It was second "hand" (no pun intended) information, so it could possibly be fabricated or exaggerated.  I do see, however, how it could be possible.
2) Why was he carrying it by the neck?  I carry mine with two hands on the bottom.  Again though, I could be in danger if it cracked.
3) How hard did he "bump" it?  And what did he bump it on?
Dave Malone

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 06:24:59 am »
So, I read that article in Zymurgy about the guy slashing his wrist open.  I have these thoughts:
1) It was second "hand" (no pun intended) information, so it could possibly be fabricated or exaggerated.  I do see, however, how it could be possible.
2) Why was he carrying it by the neck?  I carry mine with two hands on the bottom.  Again though, I could be in danger if it cracked.
When my (last) carboy broke in my hands it was empty, I had just cleaned it and was taking it out of the sink.  It barely tapped the edge of the laundry sink.  Place index finger behnind thumb and "snap" kind of force... about that much of a bump.  Glass has imperfections, and little bumps can make us learn about them in the worst possible way. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:21 am »

It's also possible, maybe likely, that it's completely true and accurate

Based on my experience, the way you hold it makes no difference.  A slight bump is all it takes.

Like I said, it doesn't take much.  One of mine broke with a slight bump against a plastic sink.  Another one broke when it slipped out of my hands, fell 2 ", and landed flat on its bottom on a carpeted surface.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 09:40:33 am »
The only one I ever broke was on it's side on a shelf and rolled into another one.  I was kinda afraid to use the survivor the first time after that. :(
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:49 pm »
Thanks for your feedback guys.  It is good to know the dangers.  It's not that I'm not taking the threat seriously, I just question what I read  ::)
Dave Malone

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »
Moving carboys is dangerous & I'm getting too old to do it the old fashion way so I bought a small furniture cart to move them around.  I'm fortunate that everything for the brewery is on one level so stairs are not necessary. Here's a link to a couple pics of the cart and cart with a carboy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/46231362@N06/sets/72157623176732186/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:45:14 pm by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!