General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

really stupid question....

<< < (5/5)

karlh:

--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on January 08, 2010, 04:54:55 AM ---So, I read that article in Zymurgy about the guy slashing his wrist open.  I have these thoughts:
1) It was second "hand" (no pun intended) information, so it could possibly be fabricated or exaggerated.  I do see, however, how it could be possible.
2) Why was he carrying it by the neck?  I carry mine with two hands on the bottom.  Again though, I could be in danger if it cracked.
3) How hard did he "bump" it?  And what did he bump it on?

--- End quote ---
When my (last) carboy broke in my hands it was empty, I had just cleaned it and was taking it out of the sink.  It barely tapped the edge of the laundry sink.  Place index finger behnind thumb and "snap" kind of force... about that much of a bump.  Glass has imperfections, and little bumps can make us learn about them in the worst possible way. 

denny:

--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on January 08, 2010, 04:54:55 AM ---So, I read that article in Zymurgy about the guy slashing his wrist open.  I have these thoughts:
1) It was second "hand" (no pun intended) information, so it could possibly be fabricated or exaggerated.  I do see, however, how it could be possible.
--- End quote ---

It's also possible, maybe likely, that it's completely true and accurate

--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on January 08, 2010, 04:54:55 AM ---2) Why was he carrying it by the neck?  I carry mine with two hands on the bottom.  Again though, I could be in danger if it cracked.
--- End quote ---

Based on my experience, the way you hold it makes no difference.  A slight bump is all it takes.

--- Quote from: brewmasternpb on January 08, 2010, 04:54:55 AM ---3) How hard did he "bump" it?  And what did he bump it on?

--- End quote ---

Like I said, it doesn't take much.  One of mine broke with a slight bump against a plastic sink.  Another one broke when it slipped out of my hands, fell 2 ", and landed flat on its bottom on a carpeted surface.

BrewArk:
The only one I ever broke was on it's side on a shelf and rolled into another one.  I was kinda afraid to use the survivor the first time after that. :(

brewmasternpb:
Thanks for your feedback guys.  It is good to know the dangers.  It's not that I'm not taking the threat seriously, I just question what I read  ::)

hamiltont:
Moving carboys is dangerous & I'm getting too old to do it the old fashion way so I bought a small furniture cart to move them around.  I'm fortunate that everything for the brewery is on one level so stairs are not necessary. Here's a link to a couple pics of the cart and cart with a carboy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/46231362@N06/sets/72157623176732186/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version