Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How often do you check your gravity?  (Read 16462 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: How often do you check your gravity?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 02:08:00 pm »
To answer the original question, once.  When I dump the wort into the primary, I check to see how close my OG is to what I am aiming for.

I am so slow anymore to rack to a keg, I rarely bother to check the FG.  Usually its lower than what I expect it to be. I do like to check the Belgian strains, though, as they seem to be more of a crapshoot where they end at.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »
I've only encountered this with Belgian Saison yeast, which I find to be a real PITA to use but will probably use again, and have found that patience, lots and lots of patience, is required.

Do yourself a favor and try the 3711 Wyeast French Saison strain.  It ferments quickly, predictably, and fully in the upper 60's/low 70's.  It also has a great flavor profile and has become my go to Saison yeast.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 08:55:07 am »

Montessori School? Same here..... knitting, embroidery, crochet..... To all the testosterone knights..... buzz off. I can still pull out a needle and thread and make happen what I need to happen. And as far as a bunch of guys chasing a ball.....get your own ball. OK, back to "carbonation checks"..... ;D

I don't know if Montessori had even thought of a school when I was in school in IA in the 50s/60s.  There sure as heck weren't any around where I lived at any rate,

Maria Montessori started her first school in Italy in 1907....... There was one in my hometown in Holland as early as the 30's which my mother attended in the 40's. I sat in the same class rooms in the 60's.... The Montessori story is really a remarkable one. Unfortunately the proponents in this country are less pragmatic and come from the far left side of the aisle and proud of it. This has alienated a lot of people and placed a stigma on the name......really a shame.

Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Montessori

Oh, and excuse the thread drift........
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....