Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA Recipe???  (Read 6652 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Ballast Point Sculpin IPA Recipe???
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:38 am »
Just tried the Ballast Point Sculpin IPA in a growler a couple weeks ago.  I need to clone it... today!!!  Does anyone have a decent recipe for this beer?

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
Re: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA Recipe???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »
Don't have a clone, but this is the homebrew recipe that evolved to become sculpin

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2318272#2318703

Personally, I like Big Eye better, but I know I'm in the minority there.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
Hmmm... I looked at the recipe, but there's no hop additions between 30 minutes to flameout.  I'd think you'd want to add some hops at 20, 15, or 10 to get flavor.  The Sculpin certainly has flavor.

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:00 pm »
Hmmm... I looked at the recipe, but there's no hop additions between 30 minutes to flameout.  I'd think you'd want to add some hops at 20, 15, or 10 to get flavor.  The Sculpin certainly has flavor.

I don't add hops to IIPA between 60 and flameout and the beer never get's criticized for lacking hop flavor. It has won a lot of medals including an NHC Gold as a fruit beer.

Hop flavor is bitterness (sensed on the tongue) and volatile aromatic compounds sensed retro-nasally. So if you get bitterness and you get aroma, you then have flavor by default.

Not saying there is no point in adding hops at 15 minutes, just that the idea that flavor uniquely comes from those additions is flawed and that I have personal experience with making beers with big hop flavor this way.

I've seen that recipe before and have every reason to believe Sculpin is made that way and, yes, it does have a lot of hop flavor.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
I make most of my big IPAs with nothing between 30 minutes and flameout.  I find it makes a more predictable bitterness.  Those 15 minute additions can contribute a wide range of IBUs depending on how fast you chill, and I don't think the IBU formulae completely/correctly account for those additions.  I'd brew it as-is and if you find that it lacks hop flavor, brew it again with some first wort hops. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »
I have brewed this as written.  It does not lack flavor or bitterness.

The Union Jack clone that was on the BN CYBI also has nothing between 30 and 0 min.  The long whirlpool gives the flavor and extra bitterness.
One should realize that there are several ways to add bitterness, flavor and aroma.

I hope the crystal malt police stay away. 

;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:00 am »
Crystal malt police???   ???

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:27 am »
Crystal malt police???   ???

Some take issue with the 20% crystal cara malts in a recipe. That probably is fueled by Vinnie Cilurzo saying that he keeps crystal to less than 5 to 6%.  This recipe works and makes a tasty beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!