Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need advice for brewing an all home grown hops brew?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Need advice for brewing an all home grown hops brew?
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:11:55 pm »
Any pointers before I try this out?

The plan is to brew 5gals of a Pale ale using only the 3 homegrown hop varieties below.
Just to see where the bitterness is, I've made Hop tea out of each of the three different hop varieties that has been harvested.  The hop tea's have a clean hoppy, fresh potent bitterness to them.

I was leaning towards brewing a simple Pale ale. 

These are the dried hops and yeast that will be ready to use.
Chinook==2.25oz
Cascade===3oz
Columbus==1oz
WLP007-Dry English Ale Yeast

If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Need advice for brewing an all home grown hops brew?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:40:37 pm »
One thing you could do is to make a hop tea from some store bought hops of the same variety.  Try them side by side to compare the bitterness.  What I have done is look at the %AA for the store bought variety then lower it by a percent, or so.  I then use that number to plug into my brewing software so it will figure an approximate IBU value for the beer.  So far I have had pretty good luck with this method.  I think a pale ale would be a good place to start.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »
One thing you could do is to make a hop tea from some store bought hops of the same variety.  Try them side by side to compare the bitterness.  What I have done is look at the %AA for the store bought variety then lower it by a percent, or so.  I then use that number to plug into my brewing software so it will figure an approximate IBU value for the beer.  So far I have had pretty good luck with this method.  I think a pale ale would be a good place to start.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Thanks. I was thinking of taking that approach.  Even though the store bought hops are in pellet form, I'll give it a shot.   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:18 am »
Never a bad idea to just shoot for a middle of the road pale ale with the homegrown hops.  If it turns out not quite bitter enough, then you can call it a blonde ale or amber ale.  If too bitter, then call it an IPA.  It works great for me.  Last year it was an IPA.  A few years ago, a blonde ale.  No big whoop.  It's really good, and it all got consumed quite quickly.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:01:44 pm »
Never a bad idea to just shoot for a middle of the road pale ale with the homegrown hops.  If it turns out not quite bitter enough, then you can call it a blonde ale or amber ale.  If too bitter, then call it an IPA.  It works great for me.  Last year it was an IPA.  A few years ago, a blonde ale.  No big whoop.  It's really good, and it all got consumed quite quickly.

I thought shooting for a pale ale style would keep the unknown bitterness from the homegrown hops in a safe buffer zone. A blonde if it's not hoppy enough, and an IPA if it's hop forward.

thanks 

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:55 pm »
Homegrown hops are best used for late hop additions of flavor and aroma since alpha acids are not known, unless you want to spend a few bucks to send them to a lab.  Since IBU contributions are minimal this is generally the best route to use for homegrown hops.  Use the hops with the known AA% for your 60 minute bittering addition.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:44:47 pm »
Homegrown hops are best used for late hop additions of flavor and aroma since alpha acids are not known, unless you want to spend a few bucks to send them to a lab.  Since IBU contributions are minimal this is generally the best route to use for homegrown hops.  Use the hops with the known AA% for your 60 minute bittering addition.

I agree with you, and I would take that approach, but, I wanted to see how an all homegrown hops brew turns out..

thanks

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:07 am »

I agree with you, and I would take that approach, but, I wanted to see how an all homegrown hops brew turns out..

thanks

I guess the only answer is to brew it, and see what happens. I brewed last year with wild hops of an unknown variety and AA - it was actually quite refreshing to not think about IBUs and just go with what felt right.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/