Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infused sugars?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Infused sugars?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 08:06:41 am »
i'm actually about to try bottling with some vanilla sugar i picked up at a small local spice store.  they have about 8 different flavored sugars.  the two i'm most interested in trying in my porter is the vanilla and espresso.  not sure which beer a habanero sugar would fit.

cheers.

rpl
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 11:43:38 am »
No. I even have a 13 year old and I still didn't get it.
You and your backwoods Alabama ways. I can't believe you've never heard any kids say this (or say it yourself as a youngin' - it's nothing new)  ;D

Anyways, this is really common with vanilla as was mentioned. I've never really thought of it for brewing though - great idea.

Glad to see your dancing banana again, tank!  ;)
Lol. That's she said. :)

I was thinking it would be fun to try infusing some sugar with grapefruit rind and adding this to an IIPA with an incremental feeding approach (post fermentation). I fully realize that there's a big possibility that it won't do nothin' but it's a neat gimmick if nothing else.

Hop salt sounds neat, BTW.
I like the sound of the grapefruit sugar. I agree it'll probably get lost in all the other hops, but still. You could do a split batch and do 1/2 with regular sugar 1/2 with the infused.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:06 am »
I do the vanilla bean infusion.  Just the other day I back-sweetened a Traditional Mead with a small proportion of the vanilla-infused sugar with mostly OB honey.  I used it (a proportion) in the custard for chocolate ice cream and occasionally put it in my coffee.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 10:35:57 am »
when ever I make custard or creme brulee or anything that calls for the insides of a vanilla bean I will take the left over pod and put it in a jar of sugar. one split pod can flavour about a quart of sugar given a week or so.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce