Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summer Beer  (Read 4971 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Summer Beer
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »
 ;D

Always teasing back the layers to reveal the interesting bits inside.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:50 am »
Always teasing back the layers to reveal the interesting bits inside.

Haha. What were your thoughts on the uncracked untoasted?  Right now the recipe is just postulation (starting to sound good though).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:01 pm »
Uncracked untoasted... I'm liking this better. After sticking my nose in a jar of comino again I'm thinking this will have to be a subtle hint of cumin.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »
I've recently discovered how NICELY this flavor (whole uncracked) performs in
my Spanish Rice!!!

(after all, it's another layer)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

jaybeerman

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 10:45:53 am »
my Spanish Rice!!!

good to hear.  how would you describe the flavor difference, between cracked and uncracked?

euge, I agree.  I'm shooting for a soft character.

No other thoughts/suggestions (anyone)?

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:04 am »
nice recipe... ill be afraid to of cumin to, but sound interesting for shure,

I dont really know who is the responsible for adding cumin to tacos!!? and the idea that Mexican food should be that kind of spicy haha, if you go for breakfast or dinner in a Home Town Buffet: tacos, menudo with a lot of cumin!, and adding cheddar cheese (supostly mexican style cheese) thats really fake mexican food, be ware!,

cheers
Al Equihua

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 02:02:41 pm »
my Spanish Rice!!!

good to hear.  how would you describe the flavor difference, between cracked and uncracked?

euge, I agree.  I'm shooting for a soft character.

No other thoughts/suggestions (anyone)?
Jay when the cumin is whole, there is not much going on until the kernel is broken open then a surge
of flavor comes down the pike....more bite and pungent than pre ground.But not till you crush it open.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »
nice recipe... ill be afraid to of cumin to, but sound interesting for shure,

I dont really know who is the responsible for adding cumin to tacos!!? and the idea that Mexican food should be that kind of spicy haha, if you go for breakfast or dinner in a Home Town Buffet: tacos, menudo with a lot of cumin!, and adding cheddar cheese (supostly mexican style cheese) thats really fake mexican food, be ware!,

cheers

If you add just a minimal amount of cumin you get a very nice background flavor but no heat.  For spiciness I use different peppers whole, flaked or powdered.  Cumin just adds what folks in the States have been taught to associate with "Mexican" food. 

We have a small hole in the wall restaurant close to our house the whole family loves.  It will never be confused with Tex-Mex".

Great!  Now I'm hungry again.

Once you settle on your recipe I may have to give this beer a go.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

jaybeerman

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 03:41:09 pm »
Jay when the cumin is whole, there is not much going on until the kernel is broken open then a surge
of flavor comes down the pike....more bite and pungent than pre ground.But not till you crush it open.

Got it, I think; you're just saying that when you buy whole seed you prefer that character over the pre-ground cumin seed powder?

I'm wondering if the five minutes of boiling wouldn't still extract a subtle flavor from fresh uncracked seeds

If you add just a minimal amount of cumin you get a very nice background flavor but no heat. 

This sounds like experience speaking.  I'm definitely looking for background flavor with just a hint of heat from the ginger.  Let me know if you have any more experience to share.

Al & Paul, we also have fantastic Mexican food here.  We actually have about a dozen Mexican restaurants and only 3 of the families (two are Mexican and 1 is american) produce the americanized crap.  Man I hate it when mex food is loaded with cheese, cheddar or not.  Al, I like cumin mostly for Indian food, some Mediterranean and some Spanish dishes.  Cheers, j

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:38 pm »
Al & Paul, we also have fantastic Mexican food here.  We actually have about a dozen Mexican restaurants and only 3 of the families (two are Mexican and 1 is american) produce the americanized crap.  Man I hate it when mex food is loaded with cheese, cheddar or not.  Al, I like cumin mostly for Indian food, some Mediterranean and some Spanish dishes.  Cheers, j

i agreed with you. it should be most Indian style food than mexican. and believe me, there just a few good places in the US when serve authentic and not that spicy. I prefer a little decent cuantity of cumin in some seafood dishes, excelent!!, haha now im hungry now!,

it makes me think that i should be tried cumin for my next Witbier, yesterday i opened a bottle of my fisrt Wit and taste great. Perhaps, little more of orange peeling and a little bit of coriander and chamomille and yes, will tried the cumin.
Al Equihua

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 02:24:06 am »
Got it, I think; you're just saying that when you buy whole seed you prefer that character over the pre-ground cumin seed powder?

I'm wondering if the five minutes of boiling wouldn't still extract a subtle flavor from fresh uncracked seeds
Probably - it works using whole seed in oil, it would probably work in wort.
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 03:32:14 pm »
Probably - it works using whole seed in oil, it would probably work in wort.

I'm thinking so, if not then I'll have to keep brewing it till I get enough of the flavor or I've had enough of the flavor. 

I'm on brewing hiatus for a little while, but any day now I hope to get this one going.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »
Jay, just make some spaghetti and sprinkle a little caraway on and in it....

jaybeerman

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
Jay, just make some spaghetti and sprinkle a little caraway on and in it....

oh for crying out loud  :)

I know you don't believe me, but it's still on the list...patience grasshopper

I'm on an “everything hiatus.”  The good news is that the garden is brimming with tomatoes that are just about ripe so the caraway spaghetti will definitely come soon and before the cumin beer or any beer for that matter. 

I've been eating the same meals for a few months now (blueberry-banana-greek yogurt-almond shake for breakfast, the stirfry with garden vegs and a small amount of chicken or pork for lunch, and a few salads throughout the day.  It doesn't weigh me down and the heavy amounts of ginger and sambal oelek in the stirfry are keeping me going.  cheers, j

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »
Wow, based on your avatar photo, I would have thought you were a meat and potatoes kind of guy.