Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: for bottle brewers...and any brewers...oxyclean!  (Read 14252 times)

ccarlson

Re: for bottle brewers...and any brewers...oxyclean!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:52 am »
I've used both the real stuff as well as the substitute. I can't see any real difference and since they are the same price, why not the take the more environmentally safe route.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:56 am »
OK.  I'm curious, because I did leave a hose in the Starsan bucket. ::)
What gets the tacky sheen off of the plastic hoses that gets left in StarSan solution too long? 
Since StarSan is a no-rinse sanitizer, is there any harm in continuing to use such a hose?

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »
I've used both the real stuff as well as the substitute. I can't see any real difference and since they are the same price, why not the take the more environmentally safe route.

Pure ignorance here...  What's the difference between the two and which one is more environmentally safe?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:55 pm »
Apparently "TSP substitute" is a description that applies to different compounds, not a brand or trade name for a specific compound.  I found this TSP substitute from DAP (not the yeast nutrient) that is listed as being 45% - 90% sodium carbonate (washing soda).  That's a pretty liberal spread of percentage of content!  Note that it is listed as being incompatable with strong bases and oxidizing agents.  It is a white powder.

Here is the MSDS for Savogran TSP Substitute that Lowes sells.  It is a pink liquid.  There is no list of contents (trade secrets get a MSDS bye).

One should be careful of the chemicals they mix, use, and recommend.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:03:26 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »
What gets the tacky sheen off of the plastic hoses that gets left in StarSan solution too long? 
Since StarSan is a no-rinse sanitizer, is there any harm in continuing to use such a hose?

I would GUESS that the tacky sheen is not star san but plastic that has had it's molecular structure changed by star san. but I could be wrong. I am not a chemist nor do I play one on TV
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »

I would GUESS that the tacky sheen is not star san but plastic that has had it's molecular structure changed by star san. but I could be wrong. I am not a chemist nor do I play one on TV
It's a component of the starsan that comes out of solution, I think it is the surfactant.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

It's a component of the starsan that comes out of solution, I think it is the surfactant.
well there you go. wrong again. :(
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:58 pm »

well there you go. wrong again. :(
We're all here to learn and share ;) ;D
Tom Schmidlin