Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ball valuve and thermometer on new kettle  (Read 5973 times)

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
Re: ball valuve and thermometer on new kettle
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:50:34 am »
Ball valve is very useful.  I use an IC so I need to know when I am done chilling, so I've recently installed a weldless thermometer. 

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:52:00 am »

Or turn your burner down. If your melting valve handles and termometers on the sides of your kettle, then you're just wasting gas. Heat under the pot boils wort. Heat going up the sides of the pot does nothing.

You'll still want hand protection...That sucker gets hot, either way.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
+1 on that budyy.  I have a thermometer on my boil kettle, and for the life me, I don't know why.  I never use it. 

I wonder if this is a function of the type of chiller and\or kettle used?  With a standard kettle, your average probe-style brewing thermometer has the bracket for mounting on the lip of the kettle - this is rendered useless on a converted keg whose opening doesn't have a vertically-oriented mounting point.  Also, if you have a therminator or other chiller that shows the temperature of wort exiting the kettle, I can see not needing a kettle mounted one, but with an immersion chiller, it's sure nice to quickly glance at that big dial, without having to find your probe, sanitize, insert, and wait for a reading while running through your end-of-brew process.

Having a keggle, I personally can't wait to install a thermometer