Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: this forum is awesome  (Read 6826 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: this forum is awesome
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 05:53:04 pm »

+1...it's a great community. 
And it's amazing how even little bits and tips can transform one's mindset , even one that has been formed for so many years. 

As of last Thursday, I've been a homebrewer for exactly 40 years (and all grain for 25 of those years).   
But you never "know it all" and you never know if something new works for you unless you try it.   And I've tried a bunch of new things since being here.  Really, we never stop learning (as long as we're open to the idea) and even though I'm firmly set in some of my ways, a good many of the tidbits I've picked up in this forum have helped me a great deal.

So,  the old saying notwithstanding....you can indeed teach an old dog new tricks.

Cheers! ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
I really enjoy being able to talk story and joke around with like-minded people from all over the planet, at any time of day, instantaneously.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
Welcome to the AHA forum!

What better place to learn and pass on the beer knowledge? And there is a lot to spread around. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
As of last Thursday, I've been a homebrewer for exactly 40 years (and all grain for 25 of those years).

Congrats, Al!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »

Congrats, Al!

+1

Al...you may hold the experience record here.  :)
Ron Price

vorlaufthegreat

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:41 pm »
Definitely a big thanks goes out to everyone on here for improving my techniques, saving me time, and having a board to come to with such friendly individuals!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 12:28:40 am »
I am not one to call out problems but I have heard that some forums will answer questions with "Why don't you use the search function?"   

Not here. I have seen more than one repetitive question answered with sincere info, help and concern.

I share the sentiment and CHEERS TO THE FORUM!!!

Thanks for not being difficult. Thanks for great help, friendship, and all around cool people!
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 01:29:57 am »
I am not one to call out problems but I have heard that some forums will answer questions with "Why don't you use the search function?"  

You are right.  One of the forums I use has a special feature called FOAG ( F*** off and google).  It is a special google search engine that targets four forums that discuss that particular topic.  Questions are often refered to go FOAG.

Is that really the level (or lack of) civility that our society has come to?

There are members of this forum that I adamantly disagree with on some subjects.  However, I consider them to be good friends and feel lucky to have them as such.  Lucky thing.  If the only flavor was American Light Lager things would be way boring.  Sometimes taking the high road means biting your tongue and keeping your fingers off of the Post button.  That happens a lot here.

Plus, as irritating as the Mods can occasionaly be, they do an excellent job of reminding everyone to keep it civil;  and we choose to listen.  That is good for everybody.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:31:37 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 06:46:02 am »
This is by far my favorite brewing forum. Lots of expert opinions are presented. Yet even with differing viewpoints, it never degrades into an argument, only an intelligent discussion. Truly a great group of people here. Cheers!
Mark Gres

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:48 am »
Hmm...I really expected to see "Here's the deal, we're the best there is.  Plain and simple.  We wake up in the morning and we piss excellence" on this thread by now.    :D

lots of knowledge on this board, and people willing to share it.  Yep, good place.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:43 am »
There are members of this forum that I adamantly disagree with on some subjects.  However, I consider them to be good friends and feel lucky to have them as such.  Lucky thing.  If the only flavor was American Light Lager things would be way boring.  Sometimes taking the high road means biting your tongue and keeping your fingers off of the Post button.  That happens a lot here.

I'm really happy that this is how this forum is seen.  Since it's inception in my mind 5 years ago, that's exactly the way I wanted things to work out.  Let's all toast the AHA for providing us with this place, and toast each other for making it a great community.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 09:44:47 am »
*clink*
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:44 am »
*clink*

And a heartfelt thanks for helping me become a better brewer!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:12 am »
"CLUNK"  (mug that's full)

I've been brewering off and on for almost 20 years. I've been reading this forum for the past several months. Now I batch sparge, I'm paying attention to ph and adjusting my water, and I'll soon be using a stir plate. I'm liking the results!

Thank you for answering my questions!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:03 am »
Besides the civility here I like the fact that everybody shares interests not exactly related to homebrewing but definitely related to the "I am a homebrewer" mindset.  Smoking meat, roasting coffee, making things like cheese and soap are all part of this wierd lifestyle we find ourselves in.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico