Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great British Beer Festival  (Read 4266 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Great British Beer Festival
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:05 am »
Anybody going? I've bought my tickets for Saturday.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: Great British Beer Festival
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:56 am »
Might be fun, but no. I decided that I I'm not really a big fan of beer festivals. I don't like crowds and I don't like to drink too much. I'd go if I could plan a trip around it anyway, but nope, I'm not going to make too much of an effort to get there specifically for the festival.

I will go to Zythos next year, since they moved to a bigger location which happens to be a 15-20 minute drive (30 minute bus ride) from me. And I do like the Hasselt Beer Weekend. You don't have to fight with any crowds since they bring the beer to you, and they do a good job of picking interesting beers.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:05:55 am »
Might be fun, but no. I decided that I I'm not really a big fan of beer festivals. I don't like crowds and I don't like to drink too much. I'd go if I could plan a trip around it anyway, but nope, I'm not going to make too much of an effort to get there specifically for the festival.

I will go to Zythos next year, since they moved to a bigger location which happens to be a 15-20 minute drive (30 minute bus ride) from me. And I do like the Hasselt Beer Weekend. You don't have to fight with any crowds since they bring the beer to you, and they do a good job of picking interesting beers.

I've never been to a beer fest before, and we had planned to go to London without seeing that the fest was going on... Are the crowds really that bad?

Hasselt Beer Weekend sounds interesting ... website?
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:10:05 am »
The GBBF was the inspiration for the GABF.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:50 am »
I've never been to a beer fest before, and we had planned to go to London without seeing that the fest was going on... Are the crowds really that bad?

Well, it depends on the festival and you. I have an especially low tolerance for crowds. I really didn't like Zythos the last time I went. GABF has usually been ok, but I've always gone to the Saturday afternoon session. The evening sessions get a bit more crazy.

Hasselt Beer Weekend sounds interesting ... website?

http://www.limburgse-biervrienden.be/lbv/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=64

Now that I see the dates, I might not be able to go. I gotta double-check with the Mrs.

I might also go to the Kerstbierfestival (http://www.kerstbierfestival.be/ENG/index.htm), since I have a friend coming to town and is planning his trip around it. I think it's the same format as Hasselt, not the fight-to-the-front idea like Zythos or GABF. One thing I'll say about Zythos - it's usually the brewers manning their booths, so you often get a chance to chat with them if the line isn't too crazy (gotta go early).

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:36 am »
Damn, 11 November is the tentative date for my wife's family's Cousinade... Too bad. Although perhaps I could convince them to have it in Belgium instead of Bourgogne!
----

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:17:30 am »
GBBF isn't normally too crowded. Earls Court is a very big venue!

Hoping to make it on the Saturday and meet up with you.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
I went there in 2004.  Great beer and no significant crowds.  The only problem is that when I was there, your only option was to buy a half pint of whatever beer you were interested in.  No tasters.  That really limited the number of beers that you could taste in a session.  Other than that it was a lot of fun. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:43 pm »
Wish I could go but it all comes down to $$$. If I had the money I would make every effort to go. Over 1000 real ales and counting....sounds like my kind of place.  :)
Ron Price

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:28 am »
Going to try to go next year, too bad I'll never had made it to Earl's Court.

Thought I was going to luck into a free trip to London during the GBBF last year for work but it fell through. Wanted to go this year but between a trip back to Portland in August and having been away from home 8 of the last 12 weeks, this year isn't going to happen.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:33:51 am »
I went there in 2004.  Great beer and no significant crowds.  The only problem is that when I was there, your only option was to buy a half pint of whatever beer you were interested in.  No tasters.  That really limited the number of beers that you could taste in a session.  Other than that it was a lot of fun. 

Go with a group of people, get a range of different beers and share  ;)

And have a plan from the list of what yo think you want to try before you go in (allow for flexibility)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 01:43:46 am »

Apparently this year they're allowing 1/4 pints, which sounds much more reasonable to me.
----

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:37:33 am »

Apparently this year they're allowing 1/4 pints, which sounds much more reasonable to me.

There's just been a change in the licensing law which allows for this, although they sometimes do thirds. I have a GBBF glass somewhere that has a third, half and full pint marked on it, and room for head on top!
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 03:36:48 pm »

I have a GBBF glass somewhere that has a third, half and full pint marked on it, and room for head on top!

Now THAT'S a beer festival!   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »

I have a GBBF glass somewhere that has a third, half and full pint marked on it, and room for head on top!

Now THAT'S a beer festival!   ;)

Actually I have a similar glass from the Bristol Beer festival (CAMRA organized too). It has my Citra Pale Ale in it right now.
Bristol Craft Brewers