Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Aftertaste  (Read 3436 times)

Offline jayjay244

• 1st Kit
Dry Aftertaste
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:38 am »
My friend and I have made our first two 5 gallon batches of beer. One was a russian imperial stout and a chinook ale. We loved everything about each beer except that they both had a dry aftertaste. It was more pronounced in the chinook but it was still quite obvious in the stout. Anyone know why this may be happening?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Dry Aftertaste
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36:35 am »
It could be astringency which is more a drying sensation then a taste.   The roasted grains in the stout could give you some of this but since it's in both it might be something in your process. 

If these were all grain maybe your crush was too fine or you could have sparged with alkaline water over 170F.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:36 am »
If on the other hand these are extract batches of beer, I'd be looking in the direction of your water. Can you tell us anything about your water? Source? Did you filter it?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jayjay244

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
They were both extract batches. We did not use filtered water. It's city water from the tap and we have a water softener in the basement.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 09:46:56 am »
Water softeners are generally bad for brewing. They replace minerals that are better for brewing (like calcium) with sodium which is not so good in high amounts. Is there a faucet that does not run through it? Or buy some bottled water for brewing.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:49:52 am »
Also...could you give us a breakdown of your recipe and process. This will help us better target your issue.
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:05 am »
My first thought was sulfate in your water.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 11:07:41 am »
Dry = not sweet.  Is this what you mean?
Aftertaste = the remaining taste that lingers after you're done swallowing the sip of beer.  Is this what you mean?

My guess is that you're trying to tell us that there's a harsh quality to the flavor that lingers in the finish and aftertaste. 

When I started with extract and partial mash brewing, my beers brewed with tap water often suffered from a sourish, tart, or harsh, astringent taste that lingered in the finish and aftertaste.  My water profile was the problem (too alkaline, too much bicarbonate and sulfates).  If you use your tap water, be sure to eliminate the chlorine and chloramines by using campden tablets and filter the water with an activated charcoal filter (very slow flow rates).  Better yet, just use reverse osmosis water and brew salt additions.  Also, don't excessively sparge the steeping grain bag.  Soak it once, rinse it once (if at all).  You may be picking up tannins from over-sparged grains.  And don't use bleach to sanitize--the chlorophenols really can ruin your beer.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:26:58 am »
And make sure you don't boil the steeping grains.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:01 am »
The taste you are describing is almost certainly your water, though there may be other issues with your process that add to it.