Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Luggage Handler  (Read 1727 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Belgian Luggage Handler
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:16:45 am »
So I was thinking of what to call a beer I have been planning - essentially it is a version of my Grey Skies Porter, but with Belgian subs for all the ingredients (considering using a lager yeast, too)... and so I translated "Grey Skies Belgian Porter" and saw the French word for "Porter" is "Bagagiste," which I re-translated... and it means luggage handler. So enjoy your Black Butte Luggage Handlers this fall.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Belgian Luggage Handler
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:28:05 am »
Damn, this bar exam is turning my brains to mush. Why oh why did I decide to get licensed in two states?

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:21 am »
Damn, this bar exam is turning my brains to mush. Why oh why did I decide to get licensed in two states?
One bar means cold, two bars means supercold.  What is so hard about that?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:59:48 am »
Actually, porter is the original word for baggage handler. It's called porter because it's what the (wait for it) porters, or baggage handlers, drank after work down at the docks.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Actually, porter is the original word for baggage handler. It's called porter because it's what the (wait for it) porters, or baggage handlers, drank after work down at the docks.

Pretty close. Current research into the subject (by Martyn Cornell and others) suggests that the name came from London street porters, rather than longshoremen or market porters. In 18th and early 19th century London, the streets were sufficiently narrow and crowded that pedestrians could more faster than wagons, so many goods were carried on the backs of "ticket porters."

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/the-forgotten-story-of-londons-porters/

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »
One bar means cold, two bars means supercold.  What is so hard about that?

Hah!  Florida humor... you guys... ::)

(Good one!)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:50:14 am »
You'll have to be patient with that beer. It might seem that the yeast will never start, but it'll probably get there eventually.