Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going Green?  (Read 19576 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Going Green?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:09 pm »
Well said, Drew. I wanted to say something along those lines (my mom and grandfather were teachers) but felt bad about dragging this into the political gutter in the first place.

I really don't get it. Education is EVERYTHING. If we cut everything else, we should give our public schools every penny they ask for and then some. Without education none of the rest is worth a damn. And yes, we should use some of that money to ensure teachers conduct themselves as professionals, but only once we can look in the mirror and admit that they ARE professionals and deserve to be paid as such.

Of course, anyone who disagrees doesn't have to be silent about it. The barriers to entry for a school board election are essentially nonexistent, and most districts would kill for just ONE passionate candidate.

You don't have to get low wages as a teacher - some eventually make six figures. But you gotta put in your time. And as I said in an earlier post (This is Point C) if greed and corruption weren't involved I'd agree on the funding of education. But with all the money being pumped in to the school systems I don't think they're any smarter or learning any better than they were before my last tax increase. But there were some nice raises to be had by all and some monster additions put onto the school.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:20:04 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »
You don't have to get low wages as a teacher - some eventually make six figures. But you gotta put in your time.

I'd love to know where a teacher can be making six figures from their teaching job. My mom, with over 20 years of seniority, nationally board certified (+ a certain %age to the salary), senior class sponsor, etc make below the median income for her area. Actually, I think that's still the case when you add in her second teaching job as a community college professor.

Even here in California, my fiancees salary is closed to hitting the cap even after only 6 years of teaching.

Now, if you're talking administrators (and that's a whole other credential separate from teaching), then yes you're right. Almost every teacher I know has unkind words for the waste and salaries they see at the district level.

As for the fancy additions at the schools, you should see how long they have to fight for those and how often the funding for them are tied specifically to construction projects and not general funds. (e.g. they can't be used for books/salaries/maintence/etc)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

brewboy

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
When comparing salaries, don't forget to apply the many vacation days for Christmas, spring break and summer.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 02:37:31 pm »
Drew, I don't think its the Profession that gets the bashing, its where the monies actually get spent perhaps?  That and the way some places throw their weight around.  I've raised children and had to drive them to school through the worst weather and road conditions because the school board cut bussing to ensure the mills were passed at the next ballot.  We endured 3 months and yes, the ballot passed, but how it was passed will never be forgotten, not here anyway.  Imagine the congested traffic in a small town with rather large school because laws had been passed to consolidate several schools, save money and offer better education.  The buses did run for sporting events though.

No, I agree with you.  Good teachers are hard to find, those are the ones that will endure, they are their because that is what they yearn to do and they should be compensated well for it.  I'm a firm believer in rewarding those who do well as I am also a firm believer that if someone is doing a job simply because it is another persons wish, stature, just for the money or its deemed a gravy job etc... that those people shouldn't be working those jobs whether it is teaching or any other job.  Profession is strange word which I think is often misused, every job is a profession if the individuals doing them are indeed experts.

When I went to college I was 34 years old, finding a Good math teacher was like finding a Good dentist.  Oh sure there were plenty of professors and all having masters and being certified etc etc. but the quality, commitment and desire to teach, especially teaching  older students which had lost years in doing amu equations... well let's just say there are miles between them.  I went further than I had to in my math because I found a great teacher and couldn't wait to see what problems I could solve.  Miles and miles of difference.  Just because someone can does not mean they should.

We all do what we can, but hopefully we all end up doing what we love.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »
I'm just trying to figure out how beer, eggs, trapped methane, teacher's salary's and The Muppets has anything to do with going green. Inquiring minds want to know.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 02:41:25 pm »
Does anybody else have a problem with the text box jumping if they type a message with any length to it on here?  I do and sometimes my words get jumbled up because I the box jumps every keystroke.   :D >:(

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »
I have that problem quite often. I thought it was something I was doing wrong to cause it to happen.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »
Sounds like your PC could do with a lot less caffeine
Joe

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 02:44:35 pm »
I'm just trying to figure out how beer, eggs, trapped methane, teacher's salary's and The Muppets has anything to do with going green. Inquiring minds want to know.  ;D

DARWINISM ... it evolved.  ;D

green beer
green eggs and ham
your face when you smell methane
$$$
Kermit

makes perfect sense to me!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 02:45:43 pm »
Does anybody else have a problem with the text box jumping if they type a message with any length to it on here?  I do and sometimes my words get jumbled up because I the box jumps every keystroke.   :D >:(

Hit the keys softer, the whole computer won't bounce then.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

Well here is another monkey wrench for you then bluesman.... how about eye doctors?!   :D  I dread needing glasses anymore!  

And bluesman, good to know I'm not the only one with a jumping text box.   It only does it here but its an inexpensive board so I guess I can deal with it.  :D  (I almost said cheap but figured that might get taken wrong...  ::)  :D )

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2010, 02:53:16 pm »
Turtles are green!

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:13 pm »
Hey Drew, here is my personal take on teachers.  A good teacher can turn mountains into molehills and a mediocre teacher will turn molehills into mountains.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »
I agree with dean. Education is important, but the quility of education is what's really important. There's a difference between teaching and testing. To me, everything is based off of testing nowadays. A teacher's performance is based soley on how well her/his class does on state mandated testing. That's crap, but with parents becoming less and less involved with their children's education, I guess we have to blame someone, cause it aint the parents (sorry, sarcasm implied)!

And as far as salaries are concerned, sure, teachers should be paid more, but I should be too for what I do. Ain't gonna happen, but pay is not the reason I got into my "profession". I don't think it's a leading factor for many teachers either.

"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »
Turtles are green!

:D :D  Thats a good one!!   ;D