Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NPT fittings leak in a hard plumbed system  (Read 1756 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
NPT fittings leak in a hard plumbed system
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:08 am »
Thought I'd reach out to those of you who have built hard plumbed systems for some advice.  I've got a single tier, HERMS system coming together, but I'm really struggling to get the NPT fittings (valves, elbows etc) around the pump to seal properly.  I have not problem with my compression fittings (Swagelok) since I've worked on that stuff for years, but NPT is new to me, and frankly rather frustrating.  The real challenge is getting it to seal, and have everything line up.

It's 1/2" stainless steel NPT, right now I'm using regular white PTFE tape.  I'm about to try the triple density pink tape which is ASTM rated for 1/2" fittings and above.  Any other suggestions from those of you who've been through this already?

??? ???

Thanks!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: NPT fittings leak in a hard plumbed system
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:58:18 am »
NPT fittings have to have Teflon tape or plumbers putty to seal.  You can use regular plumbers Teflon tape or gas Teflon tape. Wrap it around pine 3 to 6 times and you should be good.

Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
Re: NPT fittings leak in a hard plumbed system
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:55:21 pm »
The only time I've had problems with NPT fittings sealing with teflon tape was when I wasn't careful and some of the tape overlapped at the end of the fitting so that some of the tape wrapped over to the inside of the fitting.  Once I re-wrapped the threads, the leak went away.