Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Uh-oh... Leaky Keg Blues  (Read 4767 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Uh-oh... Leaky Keg Blues
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »
There is a market for them if he'll sell to you in bulk for homebrew use.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:59 pm »

Tom, I'm not sure if he will do that or not.  I get the feeling they only do it as a goodwill thing to help out the local homebrewers, but I will inquire the next time I'm over there. 
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
I have to say that I've been hearing for years now that the supply is running out, but there always seem to be some to be had.

Prices have definitely gone up over the years, but that seems true of all things.

5 years ago or so I was told that the Chinese were importing them in full overseas containers to get the stainless steel.  Who knows what the truth is?

A couple months ago, I was quoted $65 a pop at the LHBS.  So I bought 4 from More Beer delivered to my door for much less.

Perhaps it's regional availability?  Or they come in batches when someone gets a bulk purchase?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »

Tom, I'm not sure if he will do that or not.  I get the feeling they only do it as a goodwill thing to help out the local homebrewers, but I will inquire the next time I'm over there. 
If Seattle is local enough for him, someone might be willing to make the trip.  One of my clubs was trying to put together a buy for 20+ kegs.   They have the people who want them, they just haven't found a good source that will do it cheaper than the LHBS.  Although for $40 the LHBS is a good enough deal I think.

5 years ago or so I was told that the Chinese were importing them in full overseas containers to get the stainless steel.  Who knows what the truth is?
My Pepsi contact told me he competed for kegs with another guy at work, and that guy was selling them to China as scrap.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »
If you heard it, too, that makes it true enough for me.  You'd think you could get a higher price than whatever the scrap value is, but I bet selling them for scrap is effortless.

For my money $40 at the LHBS is good enough.  I think the days of $20 and $25 are long gone, though I remember them fondly.

As for scrap, here in Chicago there's apparently a rash of thefts of home HVAC compressors.  Stolen in the night for their copper.

Someone stole two units off the roof of an animal shelter not too long ago.

But I'm WAY off topic...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »
Tom, it looks like my schedule for tomorrow hasn't changed; I'm free pretty much any time before 4. If you want to meet up and maybe chat for a while, just let me know when. Pretty sure I can be at Malt & Vine within 10 minutes.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:25 pm »
Mine is open too, I just have a lot of work to do.  When/where it gets done doesn't matter.  I might show up early for a pint and park myself in a chair and work for a bit.  Send me an email, it will come to my phone.  I'll PM my email to you.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 06:11:40 am »
late to the party, and not much to offer. didn't sleep well last night so.....

wasn't Leaky Keg Blues a Steve Earle song? (just kidding)
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

narvin

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 06:22:40 am »
I agree with Tom, banging the lip of the keg with a hammer has helped me fix a keg that wouldn't seal around the lid.

A spray bottle of star san is very helpful for finding leaks.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 03:43:37 pm »
Yeah, I went to Mountain for it. Figured it'd end up being cheaper paying the tax locally instead of paying shipping from one of the online places, since the actual unit price was pretty much identical. And I got to pick out exactly which keg I wanted! :)

I'm probably just going to stick with the one keg for now—partly for financial reasons and partly because I'm a very low-volume brewer at the moment. I do want to pick up at least one or two more eventually, but I don't see that happening until next summer at the earliest.That said, I wouldn't mind meeting up on Friday anyway, especially since you won't be at the meeting. Right now my schedule's open pretty much any time before 4:00, but given the nature of my summer job that could change by this time tomorrow.

:o
Good luck with the "one keg for now" plan!  I just started kegging this spring and am already up to 8.   ;D

13, and I need more...... :o :o :o
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:45:25 pm by oscarvan »
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 12:58:27 am »
I just got my 10th Corny last week because in California they are up to around 50 bucks with tax and getting higher.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 06:18:27 am »
13 also, but no space to store more....I am lucky if I have 4 open ones at a time these days.  10 gallon batches and ever thirsty friends have caused me to consider buying more, but $40-$50 is 50% more than what I paid for the first few....ouch.

I have never hit mine with a rubber mallet - they seal up with some Keg Lube on the big O-ring usually.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »
in colorado, $70 for un reconditioned ball locks at LHBS, $40 for pin locks at one LHBS shop specializing in kegs...ouch.

Craigslist, about $30-40....but this takes time and vigilance.

$110 for new.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...