Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coriander question  (Read 8644 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
Coriander question
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:11:20 pm »
So, i am growing my own fresh coriander in the back yard so i can make a nice tripel. What is a good amount of the seed to use in a 5 gallon batch? Also, do you crush them or leave them whole? Do you add to the boil, and if so how long?

I am excited too: This will be my second AG attempt. This recipe, which has changed a bunch, was the first beer i ever brewed (it was horrible, got infected). That was four years ago and now i know a lot more about what i am doing.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Coriander question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »
I use 1/2 oz of coriander in my recipes - crushed. Crush a few seeds and smell them. They should be pretty pungent and lemony. If they are subtle, use a little more.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:45 pm »
Indian Coriander has a lemony character and typically has a smoother yellow coat.  Mexican or Morrocan Coriander is more peppery and typically has a rough brown coat.  I've tried both in Wits and have to admit that I prefer the peppery notes in my Wits.  I think the orange peel offers a nice citrus note and a lemony note is not so needed.  An ounce of either Coriander is going to provide a notable contribution.  I typically add in the last few minutes of the boil.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
So, i am growing my own fresh coriander in the back yard so i can make a nice tripel. What is a good amount of the seed to use in a 5 gallon batch? Also, do you crush them or leave them whole? Do you add to the boil, and if so how long?

I am excited too: This will be my second AG attempt. This recipe, which has changed a bunch, was the first beer i ever brewed (it was horrible, got infected). That was four years ago and now i know a lot more about what i am doing.

The correct amount of coriander for a tripel is none.  It can work well in several styles, but if you want to make a real tripel, leave it out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »

The correct amount of coriander for a tripel is none.  It can work well in several styles, but if you want to make a real tripel, leave it out.

Unless you're talking about tripel karmeliet  ;) 

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 05:48:41 pm »
I'm not sure if you need to dry it first... I've never heard of anyone using fresh coriander... but taste it. If you know what variety you're growing, even better... but taste it and adjust from there.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:49:10 pm »
I've used coriander a number of times, and gotten a weird soapy flavor from it sometimes in high levels. It tastes like lemon dish soap smells unless I use only a very small amount. I would use like 1g / L.  

Also, wouldn't fresh coriander just taste like cilantro?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:18:55 pm »
Unless you're talking about tripel karmeliet  ;) 

Ya know, as much as I enjoy and appreciate that beer, I guess I kinda consider it an outlier.  When I think of tripel, I think of Westmalle.  Call me narrrow minded....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:35:45 pm »
Astrivian,
If you're brewing for your own pleasure--by all means give it a try if that's your desire.
Many new brewers, myself included, tend to get a little crazy with experimentation, especially with the spices.
Use it sparingly--you should barely be able to taste it if you do it right.
If you use too much, you can't undo it, and you'll get tired of that beer quickly

If you're brewing for competitions, then don't use the coriander for the tripels; they don't belong there.
Use them in the Belgian Wits.  There are a lot of great recipes out there.  Randy Mosher's book, Radical Brewing, has a great chapter [15] on Belgian beers, the use of spices like coriander, and several Wit recipes.  Check it out.

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
Really none? Hmm, i always thought tripels had coriander in them. Maybe i will do a wit then :)
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:11:21 pm »
Really none? Hmm, i always thought tripels had coriander in them. Maybe i will do a wit then :)

It's not like it's never done, but not usually...

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1c

www.dennybrew.com

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »
I make a corriander lager that is an Oktoberfest with 2 oz. of cracked whole seeds per 5 gallons added to the wort when heat is removed at the end of the boil.  It is left behind when the wort is transfered out of the kettle.  I've been making this lager for 20 years.  It is one of my most requested/popular homebrews.  The flavor the corriander contributes to the beer is nothing like the smell of the freshly crushed seeds.  It is also thought to reduce the affects of oxidation on the finished beer.

I grow my own corriander too.   
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:00:20 pm »
Ya know, as much as I enjoy and appreciate that beer, I guess I kinda consider it an outlier.  When I think of tripel, I think of Westmalle.  Call me narrrow minded....

was just yanking your chain...it is ridiculously good but not what I'd call a (normal) tripel either. 

just for the record, i love coriander and use it in three different styles.

nateo, there's two kinds of people in this world - those who think coriander and cilantro taste like soap and those who...don't.  Basically, it's genetic and is based on your perception of phenylthiocarbamide (if you want the cheap explanation look it up on wikiped).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:11:04 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:58 am »
I find tripel karmeliet to be sickly sweet, ugh

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 10:20:18 am »
Also, wouldn't fresh coriander just taste like cilantro?
AFAIK, the word 'coriander' in the US means the seeds and the word 'cilantro' means the leaves.  But IIRC, in the UK and maybe other places, the word 'coriander' means the leaves and I don't know what word they use for the seeds.

In any case, the seeds and the leaves are a totally different flavor.  I can't imagine what a beer with cilantro would taste like, it sounds gross but then I'm not a big fan of cilantro.