Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coriander question  (Read 8643 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coriander question
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 11:02:35 am »
I can't imagine what a beer with cilantro would taste like, it sounds gross but then I'm not a big fan of cilantro.

I AM a big fan of cilantro, and I still think it sounds gross!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »
I can't imagine what a beer with cilantro would taste like, it sounds gross but then I'm not a big fan of cilantro.

I AM a big fan of cilantro, and I still think it sounds gross!
Seems like it would give a new meaning to the phrase 'lawnmowing beer'. :D

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
It just dawned on me where i got the coriander and trippel idea: New Belgium's trippel has coriander in it (they say it on the bottle). So i just thought that is how trippels were brewed.

In that situation, i may yet add coriander to my trippel (less than NB added however).

I am on the fence about the cilantro though. It MAY be good in very very very small amounts. I hate cilantro but am willing to entertain the idea. Speaking of which, Saison du Buff is a good one to try for herbs. It has rosemary, parsley, and something (thyme?) in it. It would be really good with Italian food. Maybe a cilantro beer would be good with some fajitas. Someone else try it though, i don't want to contaminate my stuff :)
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 01:38:06 pm »
I think Rochefort puts coriander in all their beers, albeit in trace amounts (I think it's them; either them or Westmalle).

I don't see anything wrong with it, except if you make it smell like a witbier.  If you can recognize the spice, I think you added too much.  Background complexity is what you should be thinking.

If you start spicing it up, you should probably just call it an Artisanal Blond instead.

Achouffe uses some herbs in their beers, but they live in the woods.  Personally, I think cilantro sounds like a horrible idea.  I think it would come across more as vegetal than salsa-like.  Split off part of your batch and try it as a small experiment.  Like grab some wort at knockout, steep your herbs, then ferment separately, like in a growler.  Compare side by side.  Blend with the original if you need to dilute it.  See if you like it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
Charlie P. wrote something once about coriander limiting the amount of staling from oxidation.  I don't remember that he did any experiments, just observations about the longevity of his beers with the spice added.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 03:29:13 pm »
Charlie P. wrote something once about coriander limiting the amount of staling from oxidation.  I don't remember that he did any experiments, just observations about the longevity of his beers with the spice added.

I don't doubt it - I found a 2.5gal keg of a toasted oatmeal wit that I did over a year and a half ago that sat under my stairs at 75df. was going to dump it, but figured I'd chill it and hook up a tap and see what it was like before the drain got it.  suprisingly, it isn't stale or old at all and its actually not bad - a little over-dry, but good.  Only one data point, but I can see it working.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »

I thought it was cinnamon added to the mash to prevent staling from oxidation, if I am not mistaken? 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:33 pm »
I recently had a Tripel Karmeliet on draught at Monk's Cafe in Philly, and it was one of the best Tripels I think I've ever tasted. There are hints of coriander in the flavor and aroma. It had a mild sweetness but was balanced by the citrus, soice and alcohol.  I'd love to clone that beer.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »
Also, wouldn't fresh coriander just taste like cilantro?
AFAIK, the word 'coriander' in the US means the seeds and the word 'cilantro' means the leaves.  But IIRC, in the UK and maybe other places, the word 'coriander' means the leaves and I don't know what word they use for the seeds.
The furners in my neighborhood use coriander to refer to both the leaves and the seeds.

In any case, the seeds and the leaves are a totally different flavor.  I can't imagine what a beer with cilantro would taste like, it sounds gross but then I'm not a big fan of cilantro.
I think it sounds nice if the flavor comes through, but the oils in cilantro are really delicate and volatile.  You don't see dried cilantro in the spice aisle much, and you typically don't see it cooked in recipes, it is thrown in at the end or sprinkled on top at serving.

If you were going to do it I would put them in secondary only, I think throwing the in the boil would be a mistake.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »

I thought it was cinnamon added to the mash to prevent staling from oxidation, if I am not mistaken? 
I tried to do a search for it and found both cinnamon and coriander references with regard to staling.  The one I remember reading had to do with coriander.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 07:22:05 pm »

Seems like I remember something about corriander in the 1994 Special Issue of Zymurgy.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 08:30:48 pm »
You are indeed correct.  I happen to be actively reading that particular issue in my, er, reading room right now - I bought a bunch of back issues off of CraigsList.  The article does mention using coriander to prevent HSA and oxidation, though no supporting evidence is given.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 07:53:39 am »
I have good results putting corriander thru the mill with the grist then mashing using larger amounts...1/2 cup....

But then I enjoy the flavor....  :o
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:19 am »
You are indeed correct.  I happen to be actively reading that particular issue in my, er, reading room right now - I bought a bunch of back issues off of CraigsList.  The article does mention using coriander to prevent HSA and oxidation, though no supporting evidence is given.

Right Now? is that PWP (posting while... well you get the idea)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:27 am »

Right Now? is that PWP (posting while... well you get the idea)

Ain't iPads wonderful!  (However, this is not a PWP)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907