Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest alternatives?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Oktoberfest alternatives?
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:22:14 am »
We're going to have an Oktoberfest celebration this year and I need to build up some inventory this weekend.  I'd really like to do something in the Oktoberfest style. However, I won't have the ability to cold lager or maintain fermentation cooler than 68 degrees.  Anyone have a good recipe for an "Oktoberfest" Ale?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oktoberfest alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:34:55 am »
I've found that even if you do a Mocktoberfest, you still need to be able to ferment in the low 60s and cold condition.  If you can't do that, you might want to reconsider.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:19 am »
I was going to suggest an "Alt-toberfest", but if you can't ferment in the low 60's that'll be a problem. That said, with a swamp cooler I could easily hold my fermentation temp in the very low 60's for the first 3 days or so, which is the most critical time for low temp control.

Another idea is a "fest" type wheat beer. I have had one on draft at an O-fest several years ago made by (I believe) Paulener. I'll have to look that up to be sure. But still, you are going to want rather cool fermentation temp for something like that.

You can get a relatively clean tasting ale with the Chico strain (WLP001/WY1056/US-05) at ~68 degrees. You could replace any o-fest recipe with that strain. Personally I believe a cooler fermentation temp would still be better, and you really need to lager anything like this for at least a couple of weeks, if at all possible.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:20:25 am »
Correction: It's Erdinger than makes the Fest Weizen. Pretty good stuff, too. In fact I am thinking about doing one this fall.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:02:14 pm »
This one seems very popular on HBT, and someone has built the recipe for it already on Brewmaster Warehouse Recipe Builder site.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale-38880/

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/3a677a5c/bee-cave-brewery-oktoberfest-ale
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:38:39 pm »
I've had a pretty solid Marzen that was fermented warm, 65-68 F.  It wasn't amazing but I'd surely drink it again.  I also know a buddy who served a Bier de Garde as an Octoberfest selection.  It was pretty well received!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »
I also think the key to a mocktoberfest (ale version) is a very clean yeast like WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. I recommend fermenting at 60ish to get a really clean flavor. I suggest a standard Vienna/Munich grain bill and German noble hops for bittering and flavor.

Then lager it for at least a month.
Ron Price