Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wort chillers  (Read 5577 times)

Offline brewerbrown

• 1st Kit
Re: wort chillers
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:59:31 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice.  I got some good ideas from everyone. Truly appreciated.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 01:23:11 pm »
jeffy - how long does it take you to get to 60df with your method?  I do the same exact thing, but with an IC in the kettle instead of a CFC.  It takes me about 45min in the summer, maybe 35-40 in the fall/winter months.
Longer than I'd like - at least 45 minutes, probably longer for 10 gallons.  I need to upgrade my chiller to get faster.  I'm using an old Hearts Super Chiller and want to buy a plate chiller.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »
I've read that one can cool the wort in one pass with a CFC. Is this possible?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »
I've read that one can cool the wort in one pass with a CFC. Is this possible?

Well, yeah but not when you have 80df groundwater like Jeff and I do
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 05:35:34 pm »
Yeah. Mine's like 88...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »
For those with the CFC and high ground water issues (I also use a heart's) - you can try doing what I do. I pump hot wort into CFC with ground water for cooling. The wort passes into a 15' IC sitting in an ice bath and out through a thrumometer into the fermenter.

With that setup and the usual 80+ ground water I can drag an 11 gallon batch to 60-65F in 15 minutes. I just have to remember to shake the IC every minute or so to break up thermal jacketing.

During the spring I'll run about 9lbs of ice, the height of summer about 20.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:14:07 pm »
For those with the CFC and high ground water issues (I also use a heart's) - you can try doing what I do. I pump hot wort into CFC with ground water for cooling. The wort passes into a 15' IC sitting in an ice bath and out through a thrumometer into the fermenter.

With that setup and the usual 80+ ground water I can drag an 11 gallon batch to 60-65F in 15 minutes. I just have to remember to shake the IC every minute or so to break up thermal jacketing.

During the spring I'll run about 9lbs of ice, the height of summer about 20.

Same deal here. Tap through an IC in ice the through a plate chiller. The tap was 82 on brew day this past weekend and I cooled my wort to 68 in 15 to 20 min.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:15:38 pm by andrew »
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »
I can chill my beer down to ground water temp using a Therminator in about 15 minutes.

I like to chill immediately upon flameout. My groundwater temp varies from 56-64 degrees depending on the time of year. My CFC chills fast and is easy to use and I find that it's also easy to clean.

I do recommend boiling the chiller prior to each use, as some very small hop particles and trub can get trapped in the chiller no matter how well you attempt to clean it out. Boiling the CFC for 20 min will kill any residual bacteria that is in the chiller.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 06:06:57 am »
I can chill my beer down to ground water temp using a Therminator in about 15 minutes.

I like to chill immediately upon flameout. My groundwater temp varies from 56-64 degrees depending on the time of year. My CFC chills fast and is easy to use and I find that it's also easy to clean.

I do recommend boiling the chiller prior to each use, as some very small hop particles and trub can get trapped in the chiller no matter how well you attempt to clean it out. Boiling the CFC for 20 min will kill any residual bacteria that is in the chiller.

I stick mine in a 250 deg C ~500 F oven for an hour. That seems to do me right.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »
John Palmer has a good chapter in his book How To Brew with various sanitizing methods.  There is a chart which has oven heat X time to sterilize equipment  http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html .  I usually cover the openings with aluminum foil and time-bake over night at 285F for 3 hours.  By morning it's sterile and cooled.

When the tap water is hotter than I want my wort to be, I put a 2nd plate chiller in series.  The first gets tap water and the 2nd gets ice water pumped through it with a sump pump.  I need to do that for lagers in the Summer.  It takes about 10# of ice per 5 gallons.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:29:36 am by tom »
Brew on

Offline captkirkles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 04:48:47 am »
How strong of a pond pump is needed?  My kettle is only a couple feet off the ground on the burner.  The first pump I bought doesn't turn the water over fast enough.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:19 am »
I use an old pump that looks like this:  http://www.pexuniverse.com/little-giant-utility-pumps  It was old when we bought the house 13 years ago.  It looks like the output is 1" rather than the pond pumps 1/4".
Brew on