Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I tried to make tap handles  (Read 9572 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: I tried to make tap handles
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:43 am »
Why didn't I think of the t-nut idea, that's perfect. @Cincybrewer, for mine I just used some finished pine deck planking, cut to length and painted with a couple coats of chalkboard paint. Worked pretty well.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:28 am »
Excellent ideas. I was just thinking about making some as I'm about to start kegging.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline cincybrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:44:39 am »
Why didn't I think of the t-nut idea, that's perfect. @Cincybrewer, for mine I just used some finished pine deck planking, cut to length and painted with a couple coats of chalkboard paint. Worked pretty well.

So it is basically a block of wood, correct? I saw some blocks that I thought might work but I really liked the beveled edge look.

The t-nut looks like it may create a gap between the table leg and the block whereas a insert looks like it will be flushed.  I could be wrong though.  Either way they look sweet.

The hardest part for me looks like getting the threaded insert into the bottom of the table leg.  The insert is almost the exact size of the diameter of the table leg.  At least everything is cheap so if you mess up you can just buy another one.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 01:17:51 pm »

So it is basically a block of wood, correct? I saw some blocks that I thought might work but I really liked the beveled edge look.

The t-nut looks like it may create a gap between the table leg and the block whereas a insert looks like it will be flushed.  I could be wrong though.  Either way they look sweet.

The hardest part for me looks like getting the threaded insert into the bottom of the table leg.  The insert is almost the exact size of the diameter of the table leg.  At least everything is cheap so if you mess up you can just buy another one.

It was indeed hard to get the insert in there. I drilled a hole (VERY CAREFULLY) into the base of the leg with a jerry-rigged "drill press" aka a clamp and luck. The first one I tried, split the end of the leg. You just gotta be careful. I used wood glue to keep the insert in.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

ccarlson

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:35:52 pm »
If your handles are of a very good hard wood ( IE Oak) you can tap the wood itself. Go slow and use soap as your lubricant.

I know, it sounds strange, but I did it several years ago and it they're holding strong. Obviously, over torquing will ruin your day.