Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Witbier fermentation  (Read 6183 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Witbier fermentation
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:02:23 am »
I am supposed to brew a witbier for a party I'm having on the 21st.  If I brew tonight (7/29), and leave it in the primary for one week will it be ok?  I assume that my FG will be where it should be in 7 days. Do i gain any benefit from having it in the primary for more than one week?  I typically like to do 2 weeks in the primary, but I would like to have this ready if possible.  Am I cutting it too close or should I be ok if I go one week and bottle condition for two?

Thanks!
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Witbier fermentation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:06:34 am »
Should be fine
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:27:35 am »
It will probably be finished fermenting (typical for most regular strength ales) in 5-10 days, but I don't recommend racking the beer off the yeast until you are positive the late krausen stage has finished it's job of cleaning up any undesirable fermentation by-products in the beer. After the air-lock activity has pretty much ceased then take a gravity reading. When you obtain 2-3 gravity readings the same, let the beer rest on the yeast for 2-3 more days to allow the yeast to clean up the beer, then prepare for bottling.
Ron Price

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:54:47 pm »
I just brewed my first witbier about 2 weeks ago, and I when I was about to keg it, I noticed a little bubble pop up in the airlock....since my gravity was still a few points over (1.008)...I decided to let it sit a few more days and I'm going to bottle it tomorrow.  It tasted great, but I'm just curious to see if the gravity will drop anymore since I'm letting it sit longer - (my guess is that it will stay the same)

It was fermented at approx. 65.  Bottom line is, if you pitched a good starter and ferment it at the right temp (i'd say 65-68) then you'll have a nice witbier by the 29th.
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:18:48 am »
I am supposed to brew a witbier for a party I'm having on the 21st.  If I brew tonight (7/29), and leave it in the primary for one week will it be ok?  I assume that my FG will be where it should be in 7 days. Do i gain any benefit from having it in the primary for more than one week?  I typically like to do 2 weeks in the primary, but I would like to have this ready if possible.  Am I cutting it too close or should I be ok if I go one week and bottle condition for two?

Thanks!

I say bottle condition for two if you hit FG in time. You'll be ok. They'll carb up in just a few days and the longer wait in the bottle will do them well as they settle. I'd do this at room temp and then chill the night before the party.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  Here's an update.

Bottled on 8/6, FG was 1.010 to 1.011ish.  Had a good flavor at bottling, so we'll see.  I will let it go until saturday (8/20) night just before i call it a night and then put it in the fridge for Sunday the 21st. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 02:42:30 pm »
Check the bottle carbonation prior to chilling. What temp are you bottle conditioning?
Ron Price