Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Turkey Brine...fruit?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Turkey Brine...fruit?
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
Awhile back, someone had posted a turkey brine recipe that contained some fruit, as I recall.  It was killer, so I thought I would brine a couple of spatchcock chickens for the smoker.  Any help?

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
Re: Turkey Brine...fruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:50 pm »
Not familiar with that recipe but i usually do an apple cider/juice bourbon sage brine on chicken and turkey. Here is my recipe:

Make a stock from the chicken neck and trimings and 3 ribs of celery, 1 carrot and medium onion all rough chopped. once the chicken is browned and veggies are soft, deglaze with 1 cup bourbon (watch out for open flame. if your using a stock pot, you should be fine. Stand back a bit when you add the bourbon to be safe or mix it with half the water if your concerned) throw in 1 cup apple cider or juice and 6 leaves of fresh chopped sage and about 2 cups water, 1/2 cup salt (or more if you like salt) and 1/4 cup dark brown sugar. Bring that to a boil and then let cool and remove chicken parts. Add enough ice water or ice to cool it down and cover your chicken completely. Soak your chickens in it for at least 8 hours turning half way through and your GTG. You can add other flavorings if you like. Ancho chili is a nice touch and/or some smashed garlic cloves or dried apricot (add dried fruit to the boil to reconstitute).

You can make a nice honey glaze for the last 10 minutes of the smoke to brush over the chickens with bourbon, honey and a little apple cider or juice.
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »
Last one I did, I tossed in a couple of sliced apples, and a healthy dose of maple syrup.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »
pineapple juice is good to add too.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:27 pm »

It is...but don't make the mistake of using fresh pineapple juice.  The enzymes in that will literally turn the meat to mush.   
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:38 am »

It is...but don't make the mistake of using fresh pineapple juice.  The enzymes in that will literally turn the meat to mush.   

Yep.  Recent info published in Cook's Illustrated says that they found ginger will do the same thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »
Aviking has an interesting approach to a brine. I would rather use the stock for something else though- like soup or beans.

A one to one ratio salt and sugar. Then spices/herbs as desired. Juice and vinegar also but I shy away from this as it then ventures into "marinade" territory. Fruit should be citrus- like oranges, lemons or limes sliced and added to chilled brine.

Brine overnight for the next day. Pork chicken and turkey benefit greatly fom this. When I do ribs this way there is almost no need for a rub or sauce.

If it were my turkey I'd brine then deep-fry it. Second choice would be the smoker...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »
Aviking has an interesting approach to a brine.

Sleep.....now that's where I'm a viking.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 11:42:28 am »

Yep.  Recent info published in Cook's Illustrated says that they found ginger will do the same thing.
kiwis and asian pears also make good meat tenderizers.  I add them to kalbi marinade to soften the meat.
Tom Schmidlin