Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Gluten Free ale (Gluten Free Orange Jubilee Summer Ale)  (Read 2170 times)

Offline bama_brewer

• 1st Kit
4 of my friends who suffer from either gluten allergies or Celiac disease. Asked me to brew a batch of beer from them. After hours of research and few 1 gallon  trial recipes with there input and trying to stay original as in my own talents. I came up with this 8 gallon recipe to split between them.  Using the Briesse Sweet White sorghum extract syrup. What a superb ale, very light, crisp and refreshing with a touch of orange.

Gluten Free Orange Jubilee Summer Ale

6 lbs White Sorghum Syrup (1.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (80.0 SRM) 
0.25 oz Falconers Flight [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 6.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 11.0 IBUs
4.00 tsp Orange Mamalade (Boil 10.0 mins) (organic from whole foods)
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

1 lbs Orange Blossom Honey (1.0 SRM)
2.00 oz  Fresh Orange Zest,
Boiled honey with 2 oz of fresh grated orange peel and added to primary

The final results:

Measured Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 17.6 IBUs Calories: 144.8 kcal/12oz
Color: 5.1 SRM
with an Orange hue, sort of like an orange amber ale

I use a 14 gallon blichman conical and fermented 14 days, drawing off yeast every 3 days until completion. Kegged and used 2.3 vols. Let lager for 2 weeks at 42 degrees and bottled from keg.
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."  “An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-- Ernest Hemmingway

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First Gluten Free ale (Gluten Free Orange Jubilee Summer Ale)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:14 pm »
That looks good.  We have our Oktoberfest coming and I have a couple of friends who are gluten intolerant.  I promised one  that I would brew her something tasty she could drink.  Is this something that a regular beer drinker would enjoy?
Are you from Bama?  Or just infatuated with the mighty Crimson Tide?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bama_brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »
corkybstewart....

This beer turned out excellent.... Not bragging but was told that better than any commercial brand on the market. Taste like a normal beer. Surprised me for being a test batch and have brewed another 10 gallon batch.  Everyone has enjoyed it on both sides. And yes I am from Bama, born and bread but live in Portland, OR at the moment.  I upped the extract to 8.5 lbs for the 10 gallon batch. Does work well and will carry a high alpha hop.  I used Calypso on the second batch at .50 oz at 60 minutes. Cheers
“Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."  “An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-- Ernest Hemmingway

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:29 pm »
Awesome! I will try and keep this in mind in case I ever get to brew for my gluten free friends.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com