Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Substitute for Simcoe  (Read 12341 times)

vorlaufthegreat

Substitute for Simcoe
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:03 pm »
After the batch I'm brewing tomorrow I'm planning to brew "Hop Hammer" a Pliny The Elder clone from Brewing Classic Styles. Being as that I don't have any Simcoe left over from last year I'm looking for a good substitute for it. I was gonna go with Falconeers Flight but I'm not able to buy it in bulk at a good price online and don't want to spend $2.50 an ounce at the LHBS. I plan to brew this beer about 3-4 times this year and looking to get about a lb. of whatever I'm substituting it with as there is 4 oz. of the Simcoe additions in this beer. For those that aren't familiar with this recipe the hop schedule includes Warrior, Chinook, Simcoe, Columbus, and centennial. The Simcoe gets added 1 oz. at 45 mins. 1oz. at k.o. and 1.75 oz. dry hopped. Let me know with any suggestions! Also for the all grain substitution is just says to use "wheat malt" I'd assume a pale wheat would be my best bet?

Offline Norm!

• Cellarman
Re: Substitute for Simcoe
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:30 pm »
Sorry but there is no good Sub for Simcoe......I would just throw some Cascade in there....but I'm being lazy
Beer in various stages!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:29:06 am »
there is no perfect sub for simcoe.  however, some of us on the board have been contemplating 70% chinook/30% Citra as a close second.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:28:37 am »
so far Southern Cross is the closest I've tasted to a sub for simcoe, its got some pineyness to it. They also say that Sticklebract has that pineyness and 'cat like' to it, but I have not tested that one yet. but both of them also have that citrucy and fruitiness to them.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
I think a blend of apollo and citra might work all right.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:37:09 am »
I'll add, if you are having a hard time finding simcoe you'll prolly have a harder time finding citra.

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:01 am »
I'll add, if you are having a hard time finding simcoe you'll prolly have a harder time finding citra.

there's a few places that still have Citra - I just bought some last week actually.  but no simcoe, which is okay since I still have about 24 oz of '10 harvest in my freezer... ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:22:03 am »
I actually have 11 lbs of citra that I have been hording. I have a little simcoe left from last year but looks like I can't get Simcoe or Amarillo this year. Had a hard ass time just getting centennial. Don't wanna start a "hop hording" scare but I will warn you guys that hops are gonna be tight agin this year, worse than last year. Luckily most homebrew shops have decent contracts. But we are going to see a sharp increase in price again.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:32 am »
Keith, will it be like this year, where certain hops are in short supply?  Or will it be like the shortage year where everything was in short supply?

I think it is yes to the first question, and maybe on the second depending on the global harvest.

Acreage of the craft favorite hops went up this year, but was that enough to meet demand?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:56 am »
There's not a shortage of hops like Cascade, CTZ, etc. But Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra and now even Centennial are in very short supply. I can't even get a contract for Crystal and may not get any this year, and last year that was an easy hop to come by. I waited too long to look for a contract and was lucky to find one (thanks to Denny's contact). It's not going to be like the great hop shortage of '08 and '09 but it will be worse this year than it was last, especially for craft brewers.

I should add, homebrewers should be fine so I don't want to cause hysteria.  It's funny you guys can still get Citra. I can't get it anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:43:30 am by majorvices »

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:49 am »
must...resist...temptation to start...hoarding... :P

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:43 pm »
...It's funny you guys can still get Citra. I can't get it anywhere.

I found it at The Beverage People in Santa Rosa, CA. www.thebeveragepeople.com  The staff acted as though it was not in short supply.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

I found it at The Beverage People in Santa Rosa, CA. www.thebeveragepeople.com  The staff acted as though it was not in short supply.

I guess I should clarify that as a pro-brewer I can't get it. The homebrew shops pay the same price I would wholesale. I'm not paying retail homebrew price for hops. It would break me.

Offline DaveR

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 03:52:35 pm »

Some months back I heard that Simco was getting scarce. I went to LHBS. The staff didn't seem concerned about supply. I could have bought several pounds. I only bought 8 oz.   I went back a week later to get more. They were out.  :(

I've have close to a pound each of Centennial, Citra, and Amarillo still in the freezer. I've been subbing Cascade for the harder to get varieties. It finally dawned on me that's crazy. Hops are for brewing. Can't enjoy them in the freezer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!