Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: questions  (Read 2196 times)

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
questions
« on: January 01, 2010, 07:19:12 pm »
so i have your basic brew stuff but looking to buy some add ons to my kit i bought a home brew bottling deluxe from more beer.com.  what are some add ons you would reccomend to purchase
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 07:33:40 pm »
That kit looks like it should give you a pretty good start.  Assuming you have the basics like sanitation and process down pat, probably the most important thing to work on as a next step is fermentation temperature control.  Like someone (can't remember who) always says, "boiling, hopping, etc is just putting together the ingredients but fermentation is what actually makes the beer".  Or something like that anyways.  Most folks starting out allow the temps during fermentation to get too high so working on doing something about it would be the best bang for the buck.
Joe

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
right on cool man thank you well i brew in a room undermy stairs minus the boiling haha it stays a  pretty constant temp between 50-and 65 but i will look into something wish i could get a shed
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
+1 on the previous comments.  Once you have the basics down, temperature control is a good step.  I think the biggest jump in the overall quality of the beers I brew came when I got fermentation temperatures under good control.  Another good area to address is assuring you're pitching good healthy yeast in sufficient quantities - the Mr. Malty webpage is a big help in this regard.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:20 am »
Not sure what you have, but I highly recommend carboys (Better Bottle or Glass) and a good wort chiller.