Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CellarScience Baja results  (Read 1868 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
CellarScience Baja results
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2023, 07:08:56 pm »
It’s an experiment. To determine if it’s different, and if so, how.

Same reason to try different hops and grain or try a new technique.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:51:21 pm by BrewBama »

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: CellarScience Baja results
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2023, 08:48:50 pm »
Half the fun is trying something new. Off topic, but that is why I am trying Novalager yeast.

novalager is.. heh something new. the lallemand pitch size calculator indicates it requires 14.8g of yeast for a 1.048, 5 gallon pitch while at the same temp and size diamond required 26.5g of yeast.

that is a big deal.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2023, 08:55:23 pm »
Half the fun is trying something new. Off topic, but that is why I am trying Novalager yeast.

novalager is.. heh something new. the lallemand pitch size calculator indicates it requires 14.8g of yeast for a 1.048, 5 gallon pitch while at the same temp and size diamond required 26.5g of yeast.

that is a big deal.
The literature on it explains that it is very close to an ale yeast. I am curious just how fruity it is. S-23 is marketed as fruity but I don’t taste any fruit in light lagers made with it. I am wondering if Novalager will be similar. I plan to brew a beer that could handle a bit of fruit just in case.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:05 am »
I'm curious what you guys hope to find with this to distinguish it from other lager yeasts.
Do you have lager yeast strains that you consider to be better than others?  I have three lager yeast strains that I consider to be my favorites and in no particular order they are WLP940 Mexican, Wyeast 2124 Bohemian and Omega Bayern which is also Wyeast 2352.  If someone says, "This yeast is the same strain as [one of my favorites]" and I try it and don't get the same character... I know it right away.  I just made a starter with 2124 and took a whiff of the package after pitching it.  It's distinct.  940 [to me] is also very distinct and if I can get it dry that makes things easier for me.  When I eventually brew with this Baja yeast, I will be able to tell if it's the same as 940 [Modelo's yeast] or not.  That's what I'm trying to distinguish.  If it is... fantastic.  If it's not... then I just go back to buying 940, making a starter for it, etc.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 09:02:45 am »
Please keep us posted and Baja! Sounds right up my alley.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale