Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stability and shelf life of ingredients  (Read 3599 times)

Offline toniogarces

• 1st Kit
Stability and shelf life of ingredients
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:20:29 am »
Hello, fellow homebrewers,

Perhaps someone could answer this question for me and put an end to my suffering. Last Wednesday I bought ingredients for a partial mash recipe I've been working on lately. I was back in Seattle for a couple of days visiting family and trying to retrieve my equipment from a friend; I had left my equipment with him while I moved all my stuff to San Diego. I went to the homebrew supply shop on my way to pick up the equipment at his house. To my surprise, my 5 gallon brewing kettle was oxidized, rendering it unusable for brewing. I had to catch a plane back to San Diego later that night, and without a brew kettle I couldn't go forward with my brew day.

What was supposed to be a very pleasant brew day on my father's 54th birthday turned into an ingredient-storage nightmare. Three pounds of rye malt and a half pound of Vienna were milled, and five pounds of Pilsner malt extract drawn. I will not be back in Seattle for at least two weeks, so I'm a little concerned about the ingredients. I figure my yeast and my hops will be fine since I threw the yeast in the fridge and the hops in the freezer, but I'm a little concerned about the integrity of my grains and extract. I put them in a dark, dry place. Should I be concerned about quality in two weeks? Should I perhaps toss them out instead of using them?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and respond.
Cheers,

Luis
Luis Garces

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Stability and shelf life of ingredients
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:26:08 am »
It will be fine.  What happened to your kettle?  What do you mean it was oxidized?  What is it made out of?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline toniogarces

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »
Awesome. I was a bit worried. Maybe I got the wrong term. It got rusty. Any thoughts as to how to clean the rust? It's a stainless steel kettle.

During one of my inexperienced first brew sessions as a home brewer, I added flaked oats directly to the boil without a bag, so a huge amount of scorching happened on the bottom of the kettle. I applied a substantial amount of elbow grease in an attempt to clean it, without much success. I believe the scorched oats retained some moisture, which I have reason to believe caused the rust. This wasn't a problem when I was brewing every week, but it got the best of my kettle this summer as it sat idle in someone's garage.
Luis Garces

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
Clean it, clean the rust off with a non-metallic scrub pad, and then re-passivate it.

http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB-1.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline toniogarces

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »
Wow. Thanks so much. This is amazing information. And I thought I would have to throw my kettle out. I tried scrubbing it and cleaning with PBW, and I figured that if that didn't work, nothing would. Thanks once more!
Luis Garces

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:09 am »
Wow. Thanks so much. This is amazing information. And I thought I would have to throw my kettle out. I tried scrubbing it and cleaning with PBW, and I figured that if that didn't work, nothing would. Thanks once more!

Yep, the Bar Keeper Friend mentioned in Tom's link works miracles on stainless.
Joe

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:48:09 am »
Bar Keeper's Friend is great for getting the scum off the SS boil kettles.
In a pinch, any acid would work (try vinegar) for getting rust off metal.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »
I once brewed with grains that had been milled 9 months before and stored in a non-temperature controlled garage. The beer was good. You won't find me arguing that it would be the same if the grains were fresh, but whatever changes did occur did not make it undrinkable.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline toniogarces

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:12 pm »
Sooo...Bar Keeper Friend is the general consensus? Will that get rid of both gunk and rust?
Luis Garces

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:26:21 pm »
Sooo...Bar Keeper Friend is the general consensus? Will that get rid of both gunk and rust?

gets rid of both gunk and rust AND re-passivates stainless.  Sprinkle some in your kettle, add enough water to make a paste, and go to town.  You'll be amazed.
Joe

Offline g-s

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 08:39:42 am »
Just a question , did you scrub with something that would contaminate the S/S like an SOS pad or any thing with iron ?

Offline toniogarces

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 06:00:19 pm »
No, sir.
Luis Garces

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 09:08:58 am »
I have been amazed at the results I get from white vinager.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »
Speaking of shelf life, do hops loose their AAs if stored in the freezer? I have some old hops (like 08' Saaz pellets n plugs). I would imagine they wouldnt be too good for flavor/aroma eh?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 04:12:58 pm »
Depends on how they are stored.  I have hops stored in glass under CO2 at 0F that are bright green after many years.  Plenty bitter too.  Club hop buy?  Sure, I'll take a few pounds of Tomahawk.  WTF was I thinking?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong