Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Golden Pheasant (Zlaty Bazant)  (Read 2229 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
Golden Pheasant (Zlaty Bazant)
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »
Appearance: A nice clear golden body with a 2 finger head. The beer produced a frothy white color.  Little retention.
Aroma:Aroma was faint overall.  A hint of sweet malt and grassy notes. 
Taste: A sweet acidic taste in the front which faded away towards the middle.  You are later hit it a spicy citrus bitterness that is moderate. Didn't like the mouth feel on this one. It had a watery/creamery feel that didn't go well with this style of beer.

A pretty good pilsener, but it lost some points with me because it lacked a dry/crisp finish.

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3bvq7cSxI

In general, What's your go to pilsener?  I personally like Warsteiner's pilsener.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Golden Pheasant (Zlaty Bazant)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:29:23 am »
Golden Pheasant!  When we went to Kosice, Slovakia, in 2002, I remember sitting outside in a sidewalk cafe, drinking fresh Golden Pheasant on tap with my now deceased uncle, knocking back an occasional shot of Becherovka.

Good stuff.  My favorite Slovakian beer.  Like all pilsners, it suffers the trip across the pond in the green bottle, but in the old country, its fabulous.

As far as my go-to pils goes, my local tavern has Bitburger on tap. Kegged pilsner is much better than the bottled or kegged product.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:57:02 am »
In general, What's your go to pilsener?  I personally like Warsteiner's pilsener.

Prima Pils from Victory and Trumer Pils from Berkeley are nice and tend to be fresher than the imports.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:24:09 am »
I'll try out the pilsners you guys recommended.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:09:50 pm »
A pretty good pilsener, but it lost some points with me because it lacked a dry/crisp finish.

A well made Bohemian Pilsner can be a big creamier and less crisp than German pilsners. Also, like all beers with a strong flavor/aroma hop profile, Pilsners don't age well, so that might be affecting your perceptions as well. Ideally, you want your Pilsners to be brewery fresh; most imported Pilsners are a shadow of their former selves.

Jever Pils on draught, since it's the crispest and driest of the German pilsners and imported draught beer tends to be in better condition than bottled.

For bottled beer, Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils (in cans) and Brooklyn Pils are all excellent. When I can get it, I also like the Gordon Biersch Bohemian Pilsner.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:48 pm »
I have one Stuffed on the Mantle....beautiful birds they are.  Used to raise them, such a high
infant mortality rate...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 02:37:56 pm »

A well made Bohemian Pilsner can be a big creamier and less crisp than German pilsners. Also, like all beers with a strong flavor/aroma hop profile, Pilsners don't age well, so that might be affecting your perceptions as well. Ideally, you want your Pilsners to be brewery fresh; most imported Pilsners are a shadow of their former selves.

Jever Pils on draught, since it's the crispest and driest of the German pilsners and imported draught beer tends to be in better condition than bottled.

For bottled beer, Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils (in cans) and Brooklyn Pils are all excellent. When I can get it, I also like the Gordon Biersch Bohemian Pilsner.

Thanks for the info Thomas.  Also, I appreciate you listing the bottled beers you like in this style..