Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Storage Question  (Read 1343 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast Storage Question
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »
I have a yeast starter on the stir plate.  It's been there about 36 hours now.  I plan on brewing Saturday.  Should I take the starter off the yeast plate and put it in the fridge for storage until Saturday?  Or keep it on the stir plate?  Or take it off the stir plate and leave it in my air conditioned room (around 72F)?  I knew I wouldn't have time to do the yeast starter later in the week.  Suggestions?

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Yeast Storage Question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:06:51 pm »
just stick it in the fridge
Brew on

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:41:51 pm »
agree.  put it in the fridge.  That'll also give you the added advantage in that the fridge will cause the yeast to floc out and then, before you pitch, you can decant of the nasty spent wort.
Joe

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:15:16 am »
agree.  put it in the fridge.  That'll also give you the added advantage in that the fridge will cause the yeast to floc out and then, before you pitch, you can decant of the nasty spent wort.
Agreed. I also like to wake it up before I pitch it with a small amount of fresh wort (usually from the last runnings). Since I've decanted off the nasty stuff and the new addition is small, I don't worry about pitching the whole thing after it spins up.