Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Munich Barley Wine?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: All Munich Barley Wine?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »
At least until I get my barley patch planted... and harvested... and malted.

This reminds me of the mustard obsession article from the Onion that someone posted in the Pub awhile back.  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:18 am »
At least until I get my barley patch planted... and harvested... and malted.

This reminds me of the mustard obsession article from the Onion that someone posted in the Pub awhile back.  ;)

Yeah well, Perhaps I am a little obessed. But come on, growing your own beer from the dirt to the drink just sounds so cool.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:05 am »
Well, the all munich barley wine is in the fridge with a wYeast 1049 cake from the 5 gallon starter I made last weekend and it is spewing it's guts all over the inside of my fridge ;D

Pitched around 11:00 PM on saturday and it had a nice 6 inches or krasuen by morning. Checked it last night about 24 hours in and the airlock was filled with crap and the floor of the fridge was covered in beer. I removed the airlock to clean it out and got a face full of krausen and hop pellet detritus. mmm.

Checked again 1 hours later and the airlock was once again clogged so i replaced it with some sanitized foil and will deal with cleaning up the mess when I get home tonight.

you know you always 'KNOW' about the exothermic reaction but I also have a 5 gallon pail of basil ale in the fridge, both have stick on thermometers and the basil is steady at 58-60 while the BW is cruisin at 66-68. so there it is, 8 degrees spread between a vigourus big beer and a slow to start small beer (only pitched 1 vial of white labs 002 in the basil as it is only around 1.040 and the yeast was very fresh (mr malty said it was okay).

**EDIT** that would be Wyeast 1098 excuse me
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:49:43 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce