Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next brew  (Read 1913 times)

Offline grant

• 1st Kit
Next brew
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:33 am »
It is time to start dreaming up the next brew. I have recently aquired a small fridge that I can use to control temps and make lagers. It has enough room to hold one of my eight gallon buckets,and I typically brew eleven gallons at a time.

So my question is... What kind of beer would be good to brew that I could split between an Ale, and a lager? (Same wort, different yeasts split into two batches.) At this point I am thinking on another Double Red type beer, but I have been brewing a lot of them lately. I wouldnt mind trying some sort of bock, but am not sure if the ale side of the fermentation would be appropriate.

Also are there any dry lager yeasts that would be acceptable for either a red or a bock?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Next brew
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:25:24 am »
Hey, Grant, you could do a bock and maybe an alt, although you might have to make some hop compromises with one or the other.  As to dry yeasts, the only one I'd recommend is S-189.  Nobody here in Eugene is gonna have that, though.  You can order it from http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/product_info.php?products_id=2349 or I think I've got some spare.  Shoot me an email.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline grant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:32:06 am »
With  only one burner and one keggle at the moment, the only hop compromises would most likely be in the dry hopping. If that would lead toward a hoppy, malty brown ale. I might start thinking on those lines. I will shoot you an e mail Denny.

Grant

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:54 am »
A bock is generally a lot less hoppy than an alt, so that's what I was getting at.  But it's probably possible to get them to converge somewhere in the middle so that neither is too far off.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline grant

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:52 am »
Thanks Denny, Maybe I will look at your Milo recipe, and play with the hops a lil. My wife likes less hoppy beers than I do, so I like your idea of balancing between the two styles. What the heck, it'll still be beer.