Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just discovered brewing indoors  (Read 2070 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
I just discovered brewing indoors
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:35:47 am »
It is soo freaking hot here along the Texas coast.  We have been in the three digits temp for what seems like months.  The thought of setting up the propane rig in the driveway and getting broiled during the boil not to mention the cleanup just keeps making me not want to brew. 

So I brewed indoors on the stove in the kitchen yesterday.  I don't know why it never occurred to me to do it inside before.  I have not brewed in almost a year.  It was nice.  Now I have a belgium tripel 1.073 og bubbling along in the backroom.  hurray! 

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: I just discovered brewing indoors
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:07:16 am »
Funny, I think most of start indoors until we make a mess or want to brew bigger batches!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:05 pm »
Congrats loopy!

Been brewing indoors since last year. The triple digit temps are ridiculous. I can fit my 80qt over two burners and the vent hood exhausts the steam and most of the heat!

However I'm down to 7 gallon batches from 12 but can brew more often since it's so comfy. :)

Eventually I'll be able to pull the stove out, then roll my brewing rig into place and brew even more easily.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:40:46 am »
You can brew outside? ???

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 03:07:32 am »
Funny, I think most of start indoors until we make a mess or want to brew bigger batches!

SWMBO enlightened me to the wisdom of brewing outside in 1996.
Since then I have built (as the Aussies call it) my shed.
SWMBO is always welcome there, with the understanding that it is my mancave, and all criticism is checked at the door before entry.  She loves my beverages and respects my space.

Have I mentioned that Mrs. Punatic is the love of my life, and my soulmate?

Have I mentioned that I met Mrs. Punatic at NHC '96 in NOLA?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 06:30:29 am »
Hey if I was in lovely Hawai'i I think I'd brew outside too!

I've brewed close to 100 batches (I think its 95 today), every last one of them inside on my trusty old stove, most of them AG.  Takes a while to get 5 gallons to boil, but as long as I start brewing early I can be done by noon on a Saturday. 

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:34:59 am »
In my 84 batches, I have never brewed outside.  I've observed club brews outdoors, but never have I made one of MY batches outside.  Of course, I usually only make 2.5 to 3 gallons.  When I make 5 gallon batches, it's pretty simple -- I use two kettles and two burners.  No big whoop.  SWMBO doesn't mind the humidity or smell in the house, and I love it, so we're golden.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:33:34 am »
My brew partner and I really have to brew outside with a propane burner as all we have are electric stoves at our houses. They really don't allow us to boil vigorously. Once we got the burner, we realized that we could boil full batches starting at 6 or 7 gallons. We found our beer was far cleaner than our "electric stove" beers (Diacetyl?). Also the clean up outside is so easy. We can just spray everything down with the hose in the yard or driveway. Now that I think of it, since we're doing full grain batches, I can't imagine all our stuff fitting inside our little kitchens!. I usually go to sleep dreaming about building a brew shed...

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
I suppose it does help having a big kitchen and a powerful stove.  Electric, mind you, but it works great for small batches!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:11 am »

+1 This is how I started and switched to brewing outdoors. SWMBO insisted I get a propane burner and out of her kitchen. What I don't enjoy is brewing in the garage when it is freezing outside however crash cooling is easier.
 ;D
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR