Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dumb! just bottled an unfinished beer  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
dumb! just bottled an unfinished beer
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »
last night i bottled my first brown ale. And usually i dont get my  FG readings before bottling (error!) and every last batch was ok usually, but not this one!, i have a OG of 1.056 and the FG was 1.022!! and theres was no time to do nothing about it.

i use S05
I use 3/5 of priming sugar for a 5.5 batch
taste great actually but, What should i expect? bomb bottles? sweet beer?
Al Equihua

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: dumb! just bottled an unfinished beer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:39:18 pm »
It's hard to say but with US-05 I'm thinking it wasn't done fermenting 'cause US-05 usually gets a lot lower than 1.022.  I guess you can try a bottle in a week or so & then do subsequent tests until you have the carbonation you're seeking. Then throw them all in the fridge. Hopefully that will slow it down enough so you can enjoy them before they blow up.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:19:18 pm »
It's hard to say but with US-05 I'm thinking it wasn't done fermenting 'cause US-05 usually gets a lot lower than 1.022.  I guess you can try a bottle in a week or so & then do subsequent tests until you have the carbonation you're seeking. Then throw them all in the fridge. Hopefully that will slow it down enough so you can enjoy them before they blow up.  Cheers!!!

well, i going to get several test on that and put all the bottle in the fridge...haha, my wife is not going to like that hahaha
thank's
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »
Al you can pry up one of the prongs on the crown caps and vent off a bit of the pressure. Also you could stretch a balloon over one of the bottles to see how it inflates over a couple days as a gauge of how much pressure ia building up or venting out.   

Keep them cold and be careful! We won't want to hear about you losing an eye or whatnot.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:44 pm »
Al you can pry up one of the prongs on the crown caps and vent off a bit of the pressure. Also you could stretch a balloon over one of the bottles to see how it inflates over a couple days as a gauge of how much pressure ia building up or venting out.   

Keep them cold and be careful! We won't want to hear about you losing an eye or whatnot.

if i vent off cant i later recap to seal it up again?
i just arrived at home from work and i opened a bottle, it was 2 fingers of head (bottled 16 hours ago) now and a little bit sweet but tastes great,.after 10 minutes poured in a snifter is still a thin layer of head .. it tastes most as a porter to me, is well storaged at mini cooler and i think im going to transfer to the fridge this night. I dont want any risk!
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »
Yes you can retighten the caps once you've vented the bottles. Do it while they are very cold.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:54:30 pm »
Thanks Euge!, i aprecciate!
Al Equihua

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
there's no oatmeal in that brown ale recipe, is there?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:37 pm »
No, not oatmeal in there Blatz, is going well so far
Al Equihua