Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemons is Hefenweizen... What do you think?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
Re: Lemons is Hefenweizen... What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 06:45:41 pm »
given that beer comes from the land of the Reinheitsgebot laws I would say traditionally no lemons allowed!

The Reinheitsgebot would not apply. It only affects the brewing of the beer. As far as I know, it is not traditional in any sense. I recently came back from a trip to Central & East Europe and never was I served a lemon with beer, nor did I see anyone else with a lemon or orange wedge. Though the "blends" can get interesting, as mentioned previously. A cold Ottakringer Radler at a park in Vienna on a hot summer day is most delicious.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:56 pm »
given that beer comes from the land of the Reinheitsgebot laws I would say traditionally no lemons allowed!

The Reinheitsgebot would not apply. It only affects the brewing of the beer. As far as I know, it is not traditional in any sense. I recently came back from a trip to Central & East Europe and never was I served a lemon with beer, nor did I see anyone else with a lemon or orange wedge. Though the "blends" can get interesting, as mentioned previously. A cold Ottakringer Radler at a park in Vienna on a hot summer day is most delicious.

Did you get around to trying the local distilled liquor?!  I know how to say it...but spelling...maybe rakkia.  Anyway I too spent a some time there, actually a year, and never saw a slice or wedge or anything in a beer.  But, given some of the previous posts with lemons squeezed into the last few minutes of the brew or primary/secondary I think there's a reason why the beer was blended rather than brewed.  My thoughts though for what their worth. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 01:28:33 am »
As far as I know, it is not traditional in any sense. I recently came back from a trip to Central & East Europe and never was I served a lemon with beer, nor did I see anyone else with a lemon or orange wedge.

Anyway I too spent a some time there, actually a year, and never saw a slice or wedge or anything in a beer. 

I spent quite a bit of time in Bavaria in the 80s.  I never saw fresh fruit served in beer either,  but something I did see that I thought was amusing was beer being sent back to the bar for not having enough head on it.   Beer and wine glasses there have measured serving volume lines marked on them.  In beer glasses the liquid portion of the serving must be up to that line, and foam must fill the space in the glass above the line.

And, this is really interesting, they have little metal tubes that are filled with warm water and hung in beer steins to keep beer from getting too cold when it is served in cold weather - beer warmers... :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907