Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold drying hops  (Read 1897 times)

Offline g-s

• 1st Kit
Cold drying hops
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »
Over the years I've dried my hops with a fan and small heater under a screen with the hops on the screen . I was picking hops last night and was setting up my hop dryer when I saw my dehumidifier and got to thinking, has anybody used refridgeration as a way to dry your hops ie: dehumidifier or in a fridge with a fan . I mean it dries out my basement why not hops ? Wondering if there are any pro's and con's to doing it this way ? Maybe less oxidation . Any thoughts

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Cold drying hops
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »
Fridge with a fan won't work because there is no air exchange, there is no where for the water to go. Dehumidifyer might work though, or air conditioner (same thing really). How about - FREEZE DRY!!! I'll get my -150 freezer going.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cold drying hops
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:08:53 pm »
I just had the same thought.  I have a finished room in my basement dedicated to brewing (short of the boiling) and I just put 1 pound of hops on a towel on the floor and pointed the exhaust from my dehumidifier at them.  The room will get moderately warm (maybe 80F at most) with the dehumidifier running and the doors closed up.

I am thinking maybe a day to dry...
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider