Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rousing Cold Yeast  (Read 1212 times)

Offline cytorunner

• Cellarman
Rousing Cold Yeast
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »
Hello All,

So I did some thing dumb this morning, while checking the gravity on a Witbier i brewed on the 23rd of July. I was monkeying with the Johnson controller on the fridge and set the temp to 40 F (playing with the setting) and forgot to reset the temp to 72 F before I left for work.  The beer was cooled to 40 F over the coarse of the day, and I am now wondering if I should try to rouse the yeast or if I should just rack the beer.  I know hat 13 days is fine for most ale to ferment but while I was checking the gravity it dropped 1 gravity point after two days of steady readings and there was still a thin krausen present.  The current gravity is 1.011 (from 1.050) which is 76% attenuation, the upper limit on the Wyeast 3944 strain and the krausen has fallen out.  I would love to hear any advise for me, as of right now I am going let the beer sit for a few days and bottle on Sunday if the gravity doesnt change.

Jim   
Jim

On Tap: Irish Red
Primary: Brown Porter
Secondary: Nothing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Rousing Cold Yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:30 am »
Rack it. I don't think that FG is out of range the style guidelines. And waiting to the end of the week is a good idea too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis