Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hop time and taste?  (Read 6037 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
dry hop time and taste?
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:42:40 pm »
I dry hopped in the keg with an ounce of fuggles pellets
It tasted pretty good before the dry hop
I know the hops need to sit in there for at least
a few days. But I had to try a sample the next day.
It tastes pretty awful. Is that kind of a standard thing for
dry hopped beers? I will give it some more time but I am really tempted to
get those hops out of that keg

recipe
8 lbs maris otter
8 oz. crystal 10L
0.5 oz northern brewer 10.6 aa @ 60 min
2 oz kent goldings 4.5% aa @ 30 min
1.5 oz kent goldings @ 1 min
1 oz fuggles dry hop in keg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:49:50 pm by dzlater »
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: dry time and taste?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »
AFAIAC, that's what you get with Fuggle dry hops.  My personal experience and tastes tell me to avoid Fuggles as dry hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: dry hop time and taste?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »
Lesson learned
if you use a hop for it's aromatic qualities
you should probably smell them first

I took them out.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:14 am »
also avoid Saaz
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:40:44 am »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:32 am »
I tried Hallertau once...and that's all it took.
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:02:12 am »
In recent Brew Strong episode with Glenn Tinseth, he mentioned that he dry hopped with Nugget with good results.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:42 pm »
In general, I've preferred the results I get dry hopping with American hops to most others.  But tastes vary....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »
I'm hoping if I let it sit
a week or two the nasty taste
will mellow.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:25 pm »
Might take more than a week or two.  Don't give up on it; you said it tasted pretty good before the dry hops.  Dry hops fade off so if you have room to store the bottled or kegged beer, just let it sit for a month or three and give it another try.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  I had an awful stout about 100 batches ago and recently found a few bottles left.  I tried it on a whim and it was actually halfway decent.  You never know what time will do.
Gail

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »
AFAIAC, that's what you get with Fuggle dry hops.  My personal experience and tastes tell me to avoid Fuggles as dry hops.
That's good to know.
I just dry hopped with Tomahawks and had good results.  I have a batch with cascades in it right now.  It's been 6 days so far.  I don't think I will have time to bottle until Saturday but I'm looking forward to it.
-Eric

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:58:39 pm »

Huh, I was thinking of trying a recipe form Caglione's "Extreme Brewing" for an Imperial Pilsner that dry hops with Hallertau.  Sounded good to me.... 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 09:45:56 am »

Huh, I was thinking of trying a recipe form Caglione's "Extreme Brewing" for an Imperial Pilsner that dry hops with Hallertau.  Sounded good to me.... 

Well, you know what they say about opinions!  Sam certainly knows how to make good beers, so his preferences can't be discounted.  Trying it for yourself may be the only way to decide, but now you have a range of opinions to look at.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

Well, you know what they say about opinions!  Sam certainly knows how to make good beers, so his preferences can't be discounted.  Trying it for yourself may be the only way to decide, but now you have a range of opinions to look at.

I think what may help you is smelling the hops. If the hops have the aroma your looking for chances are you will acheive that same aroma in your beer. The Hallertau hops that I used had a grassy aroma which then imparted that very same aroma to my beer. Yuchhh!
Ron Price

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:18:01 pm »
Might take more than a week or two.  Don't give up on it; you said it tasted pretty good before the dry hops.  Dry hops fade off so if you have room to store the bottled or kegged beer, just let it sit for a month or three and give it another try.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  I had an awful stout about 100 batches ago and recently found a few bottles left.  I tried it on a whim and it was actually halfway decent.  You never know what time will do.
Gail

Those hops were only in the keg for maybe 48 hours, I would have thought that such a short time wouldn't have that much effect on the taste. Makes me wonder if some thing else is wrong. Home brew club meeting next week I'm going to bring some to
get some second opions.
Dan S. from NJ