Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: freezing point  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: freezing point
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 01:21:46 pm »
It just reminds you of what a loss to the brewing community it was to lose Dr. Fix.

He passed away before my time as a home brewer. He left a big mark on home brewing and it is almost impossible not to run into his work, espcially when looking into the more scientific aspect of home brewing. He surely is missed and I would have loved to meet him. He was even living in Massachusetts too.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:01 pm »
I never had a chance to meet him, either, but he certainly had an impact on my brewing.  He was the first person I ever heard mention batch sparging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 02:15:36 pm »
George was a great guy the time I got to meet him at the SCHF. Big and full of life and enthusiasm for the hobby and people's questions.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »
I inadvertently froze an entire keg of Kolsch once. My initial concern was that I would have haze and flavor issues. After it thawed there was a slight haze but no detectable off flavors. A few weeks later it completely cleared up and the taste was excellent.

As many already know German Eisbock is brought to the freezing point and the ice formation is skimmed off to strengthen the ABV content.
Ron Price