Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spelt  (Read 2077 times)

narvin

Spelt
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:55 am »
I'm going to use about 1/3 raw spelt in my next Saison.  Almost all references I see to any unmalted grain include a cereal mash, but it seems like everything except corn and rice should gelatinize at mash temps.

My plan is just to do a beta glucan rest at 113 and then take it up to 146 or so. Anyone do this before and get bad results?  The spelt will be almost pulverized in a corona mill, like I do with my raw wheat for lambics, so the starches should be easily accessible.

Edit: Also, would it be worth mashing for 90 minutes?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:49:29 am by narvin »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Spelt
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 12:42:23 pm »
I think your plan would work, and if it was me I'd mash for 90 just to be safe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »
90 minutes it is.  I'll report back to let you know what kind of efficiency I get.  I probably won't get around to brewing this for a few weeks... I'm on vacation right now and so far this is the third beer recipe I've created :D . Hope the weather cools down a bit, looks like a busy August for brewing.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »
I had no problems with my saison using a small % of spelt along with wheat in the mash (60 minutes).  You need not worry.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:42:02 am »
After reading about the high protein content of spelt (higher than wheat), I'm thinking I might do rests at both 113 and 126.  15 min each should be enough.