Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Staggered nutrients for cider?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
Staggered nutrients for cider?
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:33 pm »
I've just started some preliminary reading on cider-making this evening, and I haven't seen any mention of nutrient addition schedules. Furthermore, I haven't seen much in the way of recommended nutrient additions, outside of the addition of some DAP. Are there best practices for cider nutrients - staggered additions like in the mead/wine world?

Also, any general cider best practice resources would be greatly appreciated.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Staggered nutrients for cider?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »
I'm not an expert yet I guess, but I think it's silly to use staggered nutrient additions for mead and cider.  People have been making mead and cider for thousands of years before mankind came out with yeast nutrients, and I know I've made great stuff just winging it and not adding any nutrients.  It just seems to me to be something not worth worrying about at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »
Good books:

Cider Hard and Sweet, Ben Watson

Cider: Making, Using & Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider, Annie Proulx & Lew Nichols

I think that cider apples have enough stuff in them that you don't have to worry about adding nutrient. Also, since cider ferments out at about 5-7% ABV, you aren't straining the yeast that much. The exception might be if you're making a fortified cider like a New England Cider and taking the ABV much above 6%. Then it might be useful to add some nutrient.

It's my experience that cider, even fortified ciders ferment out relatively quickly without needing much help. The real skill in making cider comes from choosing the correct combination of apples and yeast strain, fermenting it at the proper temperature and arresting fermentation or back-sweetening to get the right amount of residual sugar. Also, for competition, it's a hassle to get cider to the bright to brilliant clarity that judges expect.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:18 am »
I belong to the Cider Workshop google group and most of them would scoff at adding any nutrients. If anything, they want less nutrients to slow fermentation and avoid driving off volitile, apple-ey flavors and aromas. Also, our well-fertilized commercial orchards produce apples with high nitrogen content.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:08:44 pm »
Thomas, I have this one checked out from the library.

Cider: Making, Using & Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider, Annie Proulx & Lew Nichols

Got it due to the fact that I have been reading some of Annie Proulx's novels and collections of short stories.  For those that don't know, she wrote "The Shipping News" and a short story titled "Brokeback Mountain".  Her collections of Wyoming stories are a good read(s).  As my wife said - "None of these have a happy ending".  It is tough country.

Put me in the camp that says apples have enough nutrients, honey is difficient in nutrients.  

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:12:28 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »
I had no idea she wrote those books. Cool. And at least the cider book has a happy ending.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958