Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Club Brew Advice Wanted  (Read 5162 times)

Offline cswest

• 1st Kit
    • Macomb Worthogs
Club Brew Advice Wanted
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »
I’m going to be hosting my club’s first club brew in a few weeks from now.  It’s going to be 45 gallons of a partial mash Blonde Ale that will then be split up between participating members.

Any advice on how to make sure this runs smoothly would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Club Brew Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:04:33 pm »
Sadly, the best one is - at least one person has to be the designated brewer (aka - the sober guy)

Also, have everyone get their equipment sanitized ahead of time. Designated brewer also should be keeping an eye out for a lull in the activitiy and offering new and exciting tasks for people to do. "So, guys, looking a bit well rested. Want to try and practice for the Olympic 'Grains Out' team?"

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »
Everything at that size takes longer. If you're crushing grain, do that a day before. I've seen it take an hour or more to crush large quantities of grain.  A good pump and chiller will help chill that much wort quickly.

Familiarity with equipment means a lot too, many of the large batch problems I've seen were probably caused by using equipment that the brewers didn't use regularly.

Depending on your group, you may want to have a clear plan to avoid "discussions" since there are at least 100 ways to brew a single batch of beer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:32:24 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline cswest

• 1st Kit
    • Macomb Worthogs
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:15 pm »
Lots of stuff to think about, thanks for your input.  I'm still trying to figure out the cooling issue.  I have a counter flow chiller I made a few years back but never use it because I don't have a pump.  I can't imagine that my immersion chiller is going to work on this one.  I guess that this might be the excuse I have been looking for to finally get that pump.

Thanks Again

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:19:22 pm »
Depending on your group, you may want to have a clear plan to avoid "discussions" since there are at least 100 ways to brew a single batch of beer.

This is sage advice.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:18:53 am »
Lots of stuff to think about, thanks for your input.  I'm still trying to figure out the cooling issue.  I have a counter flow chiller I made a few years back but never use it because I don't have a pump.  I can't imagine that my immersion chiller is going to work on this one.  I guess that this might be the excuse I have been looking for to finally get that pump.

Thanks Again

Can you put a note out to attendees and see if anyone can bring a march pump? Nice thing about group brews is that there is a huge equipment pool. You might need mash tuns too, lots and lots of mash tuns.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:19 am »
The "designated brewer" or head brewer is sound advice. There definitely needs to be a coordinator or leader. This will be the one who calls the shots and might be a naysayer in certain situations.
Ron Price

Offline roxanne

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:17 pm »
Work out the payment details in advance - so everyone is aware of what their 'portion' of the brew will cost and comes prepared to pay (unless the club is paying - but usually, these types of costs are split between participants since not all club members are involved).
Without the light, it is the brightest.

Roxanne Westendorf
Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati
www.bloatarian.com