Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Do you need to add pectic enzyme in the secondary for a mead?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
Do you need to add pectic enzyme in the secondary for a mead?
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:57 am »
I made a number of one-gallon test batches of meads using various honeys, etc.  One of the first ones I did was a simple mead using bulk honey from the warehouse store.  I had quite a bit of trouble getting it to attenuate but it is finally down around 1.010 or maybe a bit higher.  It tastes a bit sweet, but is otherwise unremarkable.  I picked up some nice, fresh local peaches and I was considering racking the mead onto the fruit in a secondary.  I wasn't sure whether I should/need add any pectic enzyme.  I'm not planning on heating the fruit, which I know would set the pectin, but I'm not aware if there is enough pectin in fresh fruit to give me any problems.

The other thing I was considering, since it is a pretty sweet mead, is to add hot peppers or something sour instead.  Any opinions whether adding peaches to a sweet mead would make it too sweet or cloying?  I do have a gallon of a ginger mead where the ginger-ness isn't where I want it to be.  It tastes a bit dull and I might want to add the peaches to that instead, since ginger and peaches are a nice combination.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Do you need to add pectic enzyme in the secondary for a mead?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »
Pectic enzyme after fermentation would be useless. Alcohol denatures it. You probably don't need it, but you could mix it with the peaches before adding them to the mead.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:50:17 pm by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958