Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home Glycol system  (Read 25925 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Home Glycol system
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 06:40:32 am »
I know conversation moved on but you could use a beer pump to deliver beer longer distances without overcarbonating beer.

Beer pump meaning beer engine?
He's talking about an electric pump.  Some brewpubs use them instead of CO2 to push beer when the serving tank is a good distance from the tap.

Ah, hrm. If I were doing a real bar, yeah, why not - but I'd be worried about the pump getting sticky because I'd only be pulling a pint or two per day.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 10:21:20 am »
I know conversation moved on but you could use a beer pump to deliver beer longer distances without overcarbonating beer.

He's talking about an electric pump.  Some brewpubs use them instead of CO2 to push beer when the serving tank is a good distance from the tap.

Ah, hrm. If I were doing a real bar, yeah, why not - but I'd be worried about the pump getting sticky because I'd only be pulling a pint or two per day.

Well, you'll just have to drink more.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »
Not everyone has as capable of a liver as you.  ;)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »

I do not think it will get sticky.
Your beer line inside does not get sticky.
May be better solution for you is to have bigger ID beer lines.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline timo

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 10:39:11 am »
I recall seeing this a while back. This is a DIY system that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Tim O

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=42735&hilit=+GLYCOL+SYSTEM
To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.This works in brewing, too.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:14 pm »
I've done what the OP is asking about.  I have a two-gallon bucket of propylene glycol in a small chest freezer along with frozen food.  A small pond pump is submerged in the glycol and supply and return tubes run out of the freezer and into the kegerator, where they are joined by 4 beer lines in a trunk line purchased from Micromatic.  The trunk line travels about 20 feet and through a wall to the taps in my basement bar.  The beer tubing in the trunk line is barrier tubing with very low resistance.

You cannot have the glycol reservoir in your kegerator.  The heat generated by the pump will always maintain the glycol temperature above the surrounding freezer temperature--the temperature of your beer.  This system has been in service for almost a year and I'm happy with it.  The temperature in my glycol bucket is around 32F (the freezer is at -10F)
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 03:51:20 am »
@rob what was the parts cost like on that? Sounds pretty reasonable... And way cheaper than the 800 eur I was going to spend on the machine.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 08:14:45 pm »
The expenses related just to the glycol system were
additional freezer (serves double duty with frozen food),   $200
trunk line, 20-ft                                                            $350
pond pump for the gycol.                                               $ 30
propylene glycol, 2 gal                                                  $ 20
wood collar on freezer                                                   $ 40

So that's $540, but since we keep a lot of frozen food in the freezer, that $200 shouldn't really count.

With my small glycol reservoir, the glycol doesn't have much residence time, so I get a temperature much higher than the freezer temperature.  If I wanted a lower glycol temperature, I would just use a bigger bucket and more glycol.

Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS