Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New ways to justify a keg fridge  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
New ways to justify a keg fridge
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:07:04 pm »
Honey!  It's an emergency backup freezer!   :)

Yesterday we discovered one of the kids (assuming one of the kids) left the door of our 26cf upright freezer open a little bit.  By the time we found it $1000 of meat and veggies was half thawed.  I just got done pulling all the kegs and dropping the keg freezer back to 0 deg.  My son and I just moved half the beef to the chest freezer to make the big one cool faster.

At least the big freezer is starting to cool down again.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New ways to justify a keg fridge
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:29:23 am »
See honey?! I'm as smart as I told you I was... ;)

Hopefully you don't lose anything to spoilage. Must have been open for quite some time for it to thaw like that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:57:32 pm »
I just bought one to get my fermentation chamber back. It is still the overflow freezer when the pig is butchered and all the birds are butchered.

Faced with your delema. I would go towards the economics of a chest freezer they are very green.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:17 am »
I just bought one to get my fermentation chamber back. It is still the overflow freezer when the pig is butchered and all the birds are butchered.

Faced with your delema. I would go towards the economics of a chest freezer they are very green.

I agree with you on chest freezers being a more efficient option.

We had to go with an upright for 2 reasons.  1) my wife is too short to reach the bottom of a chest freezer without falling in (we used to have one and it was entertaining, to say the least) and 2) the hole we cut in the basement wall for the addition we built made a chest freezer out of the question space-wise.

Luckily we got everything refrozen and are back in business with both a freezer and a keg fridge.

Euge, you would be amazed at how fast an upright freezer can thaw with the door cracked open.  All the cold air just runs out the bottom of the door and that sucks warm air in the top.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?